News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How about an N-scale DCC NYC Niagara 4-8-4?

Started by AlanJ3A, April 13, 2007, 06:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanJ3A

Hello

Well the new J is a fine runner and a good puller.  I hope to convert it to DCC when I have a littl emore time.

How about a Spectrum NYC Niagara S1B 4-8-4 with DCC or compatibility for DCC/sound.  The J and Naigara [6000-6026] represented the finest steam and both compiled terrific reliable and economical operations records.

And Bachmann already has the Niagara in HO!

The Niagara was used for anything on the Central.  It originanlly pulled the 20th Century, Advanced Commodore Vanderbilt, etc. from Harmon [23 miles from NYCity] to Chicago without changing locos.  Also, Niagaras was used for fast freight [Pacemeake cars] and when souless diesels took over, any freight.

It did have 79" drivers.  The tender was huge, so there should be plenty of room for a sound/DCC board.
This would go great with the new NYC passenger cars coming out in both the 1940-46 scheme as well as the 1948+ dark gray /light gray band.

I hope this seems like a good idea to others!  If you need some photos, I should e able to list links.

AlanJ3A

anoldrail

Since I already have two 4-8-4's and hadn't given any though to getting a third until I read you post,  For one of these I could find room in my stable to house it. 
Regards
Dick
Remember: Cornfield meets really mess up the corn

AlanJ3A

That's the spirit!

Bachmann already does one in HO and they could essentially use the N-scale 4-8-4 underneath it as long as the drivers are 79" [I'd live with 75"].
Just make it easy to upgrade to DCC like the J seesm to be.

Frisco

aiforus

I would love to see a NYC Niagara.  As one of the most highly regarded machines to come out of the Railroad companies in the 20th Century, it deserves to be given more attention.  I am eagerly waiting for the first company to make the good N-scale NYC 4-8-4 wonder machine Niagara!!  I think Bachmann should do it, since the HO version is so good.  Historical machines that are so highly rated in US and world history, should really be modelled!!
N-gauge fan.  Historic Steam and Diesel passenger trains rule! I have traveled since I was a kid.  So my tastes are Global!  My N-gauge goal is to have an imaginary Trans-Global 1940s-1960s layout.  Starting small and economic, then building from there.  It will be realistic but eclectic.

in_eden

I'll have two please.
Along with a K4... and maybe a B&O P7...
Seriously... any big 4-8-4 should be a home run. Reading T1, AT&SF, UP FEF...
Really... how about a Mohawk? The current 4-8-2 could serve as a platform?

Country Joe

I'd definitely buy one or more if they make them with different cab numbers.

Who is making the new NYC passenger cars? I haven't heard about them. This is exciting news for us NYC fans.