EZ Track Question for anyone...

Started by michaelmuncie, October 12, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelmuncie

I am running into a problem with my EZ Track and I am hoping someone can help me. I have two Y tracks both connected on both ends and I want to store and engine on each track and only have one side running at a time. Is there a way to do this with the Y track?

This is what it looks like on my board:

---------<::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>-----------

So I want one train to sit on one track and not run until I flip the switch.

Jim Banner

If you replace the rail joiners at the ends of both sidings, where they connect to the turnouts (switches,) with insulating rail joinersnote (1), then the two siding tracks will not receive any electricity.   Then, for each siding track, do the following:
1) add a road crossing/connector section
2) add a feeder from you power pack to the crossing/connector section.
3) the feeder is made out of two wires together.  Cut just one of these wires at a convenient place.
4) split the wires apart for a little ways each direction from the cut.
5) strip the insulation off the cut ends.
6) attach the stripped ends to the two terminals of a SPST toggle switch, available from the Source or your electronics supplier.  If you know how to solder, you can solder the wires to the switch.  If not, be sure to buy switches with screw terminals.  Incidentally, regular light switches from the hardware store are cheap, look nice, can be mounted in a hole in your table top and covered with a switch cover.  The ones with two screw terminals are SPST type.
7) the two toggle switches will now control the power to the two sidings.

(1) The rail joiners are the small metal clips that join the rails together to keep them aligned and to carry electricity from one rail to the next.  Insulated joiners, made by Atlas, keep the rail ends aligned but do not carry electricity from one rail to the next.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe Satnik

Dear MM,

The Atlas #205 connector has 3 SPST switches built in. 

You could use 1 switch for the upper siding, the second switch for the lower siding, and have a spare left over. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

renniks

MM

Another option is to use one Single Pole Double Throw switch.

Eric UK

Joe Satnik

Hey, Eric,

Good idea.  One switch.  Only one track powered at a time. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: spelling
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.