News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum vs. Blue Line

Started by andylvtrains, October 12, 2009, 02:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andylvtrains

I noticed Bachmann is no longer making Spectrum diesel engines.  Does anybody know how the new blue line compares with the spectrum in terms of:

a) Motor (they advertise the new GP30 as having the five pole skew-wound motor - super quite - like the diesel spectrum used to have)
2) Detailed interior cab/Engineers (yes, I like to have that too)
3) Exterior details

Thanks to you all

Andy

ebtbob

Blue Line engines are every bit as nice as the Bachmann line.  They have a good drive train and are very easy to convert to DCC.   Also,  Blueline diesels have sound that is factory installed and works on DC and DCC.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: ebtbob on October 13, 2009, 09:46:36 AM
         Blue Line engines are every bit as nice as the Bachmann line.  They have a good drive train and are very easy to convert to DCC.   Also,  Blueline diesels have sound that is factory installed and works on DC and DCC.

I believe he was talking about the Bachmann Standard line which are in blue boxes.....there you have a "blue line"
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Stephen D. Richards

I believe Bachmann is still making Spectrum Diesels.  Check the web site.    Stephen

the Bach-man

Dear Andy,
We are indeed making Spectrum diesels, and they are quite nice.
Check the on line catalog.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Santa Fe buff

As a personal preference, Bachmann Spectrum and Blueline are fairly equal. The only pros and cons of this argument are the models offered. Larger steam and more famous locomotives are offered my Broadway Limited Imports, while Bachmann focuses on common models that are often found on many railroads making for a wider appealing industry. If I had a choice, Broadway would win. Bachmann would just come in second. Why, well, the sound is nice, and they have good engine models. For example, I enjoy the AC series cab-forwards more than a Consolidation. While another modeler, loves a Consolidation, therefore, Bachmann wins. Now, in true terms, you are both equal.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

andylvtrains

I am afraid I used the wrong title.  As BaltoOhioRRfan correctly guessed, I was asking about for a comparison of Spectrum vs. Standard (Blue Box) line, although I did not mind to hear comments about BLI loco.

I have a spectrum dash-8 ans a SD-45.  I was just wondering if Bachmann had come up with anything new.  I have NS trains passing by where I live, and the only ones Bachmann offers are from the Standard line.  I would not mind upgrading them myself with sound and details, but I would like to know how they run and how much work I have ahead of me to before I get one.

Thanks to you all for your comment!

ABC

Bachmann currently has these with DCC: DCC-Equipped EMD GP50 (Product Code: 60441), DCC-Equipped EMD SD40-2 (Product Code: 60902), and DCC-Equipped EMD GP38-2 (Product Code: 61102). None of Bachmann's diesel locos come with factory sound like the steam that comes with tsunami (but has limited functions). But unfortunately none of these locos have an 8-pin socket, so you'd have to do a little bit of work.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: andylvtrains on October 15, 2009, 07:39:49 PM
I am afraid I used the wrong title.  As BaltoOhioRRfan correctly guessed, I was asking about for a comparison of Spectrum vs. Standard (Blue Box) line, although I did not mind to hear comments about BLI loco.

I have a spectrum dash-8 ans a SD-45.  I was just wondering if Bachmann had come up with anything new.  I have NS trains passing by where I live, and the only ones Bachmann offers are from the Standard line.  I would not mind upgrading them myself with sound and details, but I would like to know how they run and how much work I have ahead of me to before I get one.

Thanks to you all for your comment!

I've only got 1 Bachmann standerd Desiel and its the RF16 Sharks (A & B) in B&O. They seem a little light and lack a few details but they run just as smooth as the spectrum Doodlebug and steam engines i own.. Great low speed. Thier only con really is lack of details.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF