News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Importing Hornby Models

Started by ZeldaTheSwordsman, October 14, 2009, 11:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Does anyone know any good websites where U.S. residents can get the Hornby Thomas models?

This is now an information topic. Antics Online sells to the U.S.A. as well as Britain. They carry the Hornby Thomas range and many other European 00 Gauge models. They can be found at:
http://www.railway-models.co.uk/

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Someplace a bit more reliable. Someplace that stocks them. Who I'm after specifically is Duck.

thomasj219

Just to say www.ehattons.com has a lot more for a lot less
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on October 15, 2009, 11:16:13 AM
Someplace a bit more reliable. Someplace that stocks them. Who I'm after specifically is Duck.
The stores are reliable.

stripes15

Do these models work on the HO - EZ track?

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Since HO and OO use the same gauge of track, yes. Bachmann's Thomas line is more OO scale anyway.

mclarenman4ever

oo thomas works on ho thomas? great! i really want oliver and stepney!could some one post a photo of stepney, oliver, and duck, side by side with the other engins,just so i know how much they stick out?

trainguy111

I got a hornby Thomas from Choo Choo barn long ago.

tac

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on October 27, 2009, 09:17:02 PM
Since HO and OO use the same gauge of track, yes. Bachmann's Thomas line is more OO scale anyway.

Sorry, Zelda, but Bachmann's version is more like H0 - all the UK Hornby Thomas trains are based on their 00-scale standard models.

H0 = 1/87th scale

00 = 1/76th scale.

...and for anybody else interested, only the UK uses the 00 scale for model trains since it was given up in the USA before WW2.  The rest of the world uses the correct scale/gauge ratio of H0.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

StanierJack

Quote from: tac on December 04, 2009, 04:00:22 PM
Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on October 27, 2009, 09:17:02 PM

Sorry, Zelda, but Bachmann's version is more like H0 - all the UK Hornby Thomas trains are based on their 00-scale standard models.

H0 = 1/87th scale

00 = 1/76th scale.

...and for anybody else interested, only the UK uses the 00 scale for model trains since it was given up in the USA before WW2.  The rest of the world uses the correct scale/gauge ratio of H0.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

I'd say more so OO, as they stand a bit big next to British HO, and fine next to British OO stock. More to the point, wagons and coaches in the range are mostly adapted UK stock, which all scales in at 4mm to the foot, rather than the 3.5mm of HO. Stick a Thomas loco next to your typical American Loco, and you'll see how overscale Thomas is for HO.

Michigan Railfan

Tac, I asked a similar question too. Heres a link to the topic, and mr.Bachmann himself answered.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8593.msg70939.html#msg70939

tac

Quote from: IndianaJones12 on December 04, 2009, 08:24:52 PM
Tac, I asked a similar question too. Heres a link to the topic, and mr.Bachmann himself answered.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8593.msg70939.html#msg70939

Sir - I am not the one who asked the question or queried the Bachmann's response..

Here in UK we do not have Bachmann Thomas products, for the reasons that The  Bachmann has noted. 

Bachmann Thomas products are based on their H0 scale models.

Hornby Thomas models are based on their 00 scale models.

The difference in actual size of the two Thomas locos side-by-side is considerable, although the track gauge is the same, of course.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

ZeldaTheSwordsman

It is mainly the difference between the show models and the real-world prototypes. The engines are more 00 than they are HO (like the Bach Man said), and the rolling stock IS 00 scale, being almost entirely repurposed Bachmann 00 toolings. As for Toby, the Bachmann Toby, if it is smaller than the Hornby one, is in fact more in-scale than the Hornby one, which uses a tooling adapted from an oversized clockwork toy.

jlschai

well i have a hornby gordon and he runs fine on my ho track. :P