Upgrade motor and gears for the Bachmann Big Hauler

Started by rreiffer, October 26, 2009, 09:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rreiffer

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded and older Big Hauler (Gen 2,3) to either a gen 5 or an Annie drive train?  Can the Annies drive system be purchased seperately from Bachmann (or the gen 5)?  I do know about Barry's upgrades but I was looking for something a little cheaper.   :P

The reason for this is I purchased a Bachmann Big Hauler that someone had weathered and it was a beautiful job, but when I run the engine it is very noisy (I understand that is typical for a Gen 3 drive). 

Thanks all,
Rich

Jon D. Miller

Rich,
First, let's clear one thing up.  Version 5 drive trains are used in all currently produced Big Hauler, to include the Annie, locomotives.

I doubt that Bachmann will sell/provide a Version 5 chassis.

You could check to see if Bachmann still offers its upgrade service for older Big Haulers.  You might get them to upgrade your Big Hauler to Version 5 drive train.  Contact Bachmann Service to get that answer.

Another choice would be to shop around for a good price on a Version 5 Big Hauler.  Swap the drive train with your Big Hauler.  Then sell the remainder on e-bay.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2007/11/08/bachmann-10-wheelers?blog=4

Here's a link to my GRBLOG that discusses the "standard" Big Haulers and the Annie.  You might find it of interest.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)