News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Where did the B&O just

Started by adari, October 16, 2009, 06:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adari

Is there a town where the B&O just run with other railroads every once in a while. My friend is really into B&O and he wants a smaller town with (not to small) Any help is appreciated
Adam

jward

having grown up in b&o country, i can offer the following suggestions from western pennsylvania:

1. connellsville, pa. 5 railroads in a town of around 10,000. pennsy/penn central, western maryland, p&le, b&o and p&wv/n&w.

2. butler, pa. 3 railroads, plus armco's plant railroad. plus, pullman standard built freight cars there. b&o, pennsy/pc and bessemer & lake erie.

3. anywhere from mckeesport, pa to new castle. b&o had trackage rights on p&le, plus many crossings of the pennsy/pc.

4. cumberland, md.  major junction and yards on both the b&o and western maryland.

5. falls creek/ dubois, pa. previous to the penn central merger falls creek boasted a crossing of the pennsy and b&o, with new york central having trackage rights over pennsy to the west and b&o to the east/south. if that weren't enough, erie also had trackage rights over the b&o to reach some mines to the south. dubois yard and shop was just to the east of this junction....

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

SteamGene

While Virginia is not thought of as B&O country, there was a B&O branch down the Shenandoah Valley from  Harper's Ferry.  B&O and C&O crossed each other in Staunton.  It's possible that B&O and N&W were both in Harrisonburg. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtnut

There is Rockwood, PA where the B&O and the WM both ran through, and where there was a connecting track so the WM could reach some company-owned coal mines up near Somerset using B&O trackage rights.  And the B&O/CSX has a crossing with the N&W in Charles Town, WV. 

scottychaos

B&O took over the Buffalo Rochester & Pittsburgh in 1932..
lots of small Western NY and Western PA towns that it ran through, far removed from the active B&O mainline..
also two cities, Rochester & Buffalo, where the B&O was a minor Class-1 presence..

check out this B&O map:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yhad7nh

its the line extending way up into western NY..
lots of small towns..was B&O (then Chessie system) from 1932 to 1985.

Scot

RAM

I noticed on that B&O map that there was a section not connected to the rest of the B&O system.  It went to Wellsville, Addison, NY. and Burrows Pa.  It had been connected to the rest of the system unitil a flood took the track out.  This line was sold to a short line that had the reporting mark of wag. It have now been gone for 30 years.

jward

that line was once part of the buffalo and susquehanna and physically connected to the b&o. it had a mountain grade that was quickly abandoned.
this railroad was bought at the same time as the br&p, as part of a plan to find a shorter less grade strewn path to new york. the b&s got the b&o to sinnemahoning, pa which wasn't that far from the reading in williamsport. the plan was to build down the river to connect with the reading, bypassing sand patch and the congestion of the east coast cities and pittsburgh, for a less travelled, straight shot to new york/ new jersey.....

this plan evidently died during the great depression, though b&o kept the track to sinnemahoning until sometime after ww2.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

SteamGene

When was the map done?  I notice that the Shenandoah branch is missing, but the B&O and C&O also met each other in Charleston, WV, and Cinncinati, OH>
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtnut

I'm pretty sure the B&O line below Strasburg was gone before WWII. 

adari

Thanks everyone,
I didn't think i would get that many responses  ;D
Adam