online model railroad magazine

Started by rich1998, October 14, 2009, 01:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1998

don't know if any of you have seen this magazine. it is free and is available every three months. the fourth issue just came out today. lots of good information
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/
lex

jonathan

Lexon, I downloaded it.  Will read it when I get a chance.  Can't beat free.

Jonathan

mhampton

You should go ahead and get the first three issues, too.  They're all pretty good.  Oh, and as of January 2010, this goes to bimonthly publication - 6 issues each year!

Robertj668

It is a nice on line magazine and it is free, for now.
Robert

Terry Toenges

It will be nice if it stays free. I read it online with their beta version. Lots of good stuff.
Feel like a Mogul.

BestSnowman

It is nice to have a free digital magazine. It is pretty handy to be able to click on the ads while reading. Can't really do that with Model Railroader
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

RAM

Is there a way to enlarge it.  When I down load it, the print is so small I have trouble reading it.

BestSnowman

Quote from: RAM on October 15, 2009, 11:52:52 PM
Is there a way to enlarge it.  When I down load it, the print is so small I have trouble reading it.

Adobe reader should have zoom functionality built in. If it asks to open in full screen mode hit no otherwise you won't be able to see the tool bar. In version nine of Adobe Acrobat Reader there is a minus and plus  button next to a text box with a number that has a percent sign. While not intuitively marked the plus and minus increase and decrease the zoom. The other option is to go to the View Menu and there is a sub menu for Zoom.

If the document automatically opens in full screen press escape to get back to windowed mode.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jerryl

It is a good magazine, think the current issue has over150"pages" I download the Small version & it is still very clear. It's been growing with each issue & it looks like it has a good future. Just have to figure a way to get the computer into the bathroom so I can read it....Jerry

rich1998

Quote from: RAM on October 15, 2009, 11:52:52 PM

adobe reader is a free download and works very well to make it larger. you can also print the pages but use only the black ink if you do this. It can use a lot of the colored ink.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/
lex

Robertj668

Jerry
Get a laptop! Or a Laptop mini!

rich1998

Quote from: jerryl on October 17, 2009, 08:58:52 PM
It is a good magazine, think the current issue has over150"pages" I download the Small version & it is still very clear. It's been growing with each issue & it looks like it has a good future. Just have to figure a way to get the computer into the bathroom so I can read it....Jerry

i have a good picture of a setup for that but the powers to be would not like it posted here. not bad but not appropiate
lex

rich1998

Quote from: Robertj668 on October 17, 2009, 10:04:03 PM
Jerry

not a mini laptop. i have one. not that easy to read. regular laptop is better.
lex

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: lexon on October 17, 2009, 10:11:46 PM
Quote from: Robertj668 on October 17, 2009, 10:04:03 PM
Jerry

not a mini laptop. i have one. not that easy to read. regular laptop is better.
lex

I guess what you mean by mini determines how easy they are to read. I'm using my mom's mini laptop right now because the modum on our normal computer is bad. This is an Acer Aspire One. Do a google image search of acer aspire one, and look at the third row down. The last picture gives the best view of how big this computer is. Like on most computers, you can change the size of the page. So, mini laptops aren't that bad, other than the small keyboard.

rich1998

below is the mini laptop i bought wo years ago a little over $400. 7 inch display a little difficult to read pdf. i can expand the pdf but have to scroll left and right quite a lot. it also has a chiclet keyboard. slippery keys make it a little difficult to type.
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS5557994061.html

the new laptop i have is below. it was cheaper than the mini which is really ancient now.
http://www.dealoverflow.com/computers/acer-aspire-as5515-5515-5879-laptop-300-walmart-bm/

15.4 inch display. $300. much easier to read pdf documents. laptops real cheap now.

at home 17 inch display desktop pc
lex