Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Split gear, again

Started by Hobojohn, October 18, 2009, 07:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobojohn

Hi all,

Once again, trouble with split gears.   :'(
This time in the drive train in the trucks of my Bachmann Spectrum On30 Climax.
The plastic "crownwheels'' seem not be able to withstand the tension when pressed onto the steel rod between the wheelaxles. This too is an essential part.
It appeared,  with my climax,  a slow going on process that even takes place while the lokey is at rest in its box.
I hardly used it so far.
My climax started as a fine runner, now it shows bumps when running and the bad part  hits the gear on the drive wheels.
Asked the Bachmann parts department for help. I hope they can. Keep our fingers crossed....

Have fun out there with 'our' hobby
Best to all of you.
John Baron
The Netherlands.

El Loco

North west short line has made replacement gears made from metal to repair the Bachmann HO shay crown gear issues (same issue with the 0n30 geared locos)
Rumors has it that the Bachmann 0n30 shay crown gear  is in the works for the same part issue. I would bet good money the same crown gear is used in the 0n30 climax.  Lets keep our fingers crossed the rumor is fact & not fiction.
Never the less whom offers them in the future will sell plenty  gear sets to pay for the tooling costs.  As for my Shay& Climax  I dont stress the drive train with lots of torque & drag weight to try to preserve the OEM set  until an upgrade is marketed. ( pretty much shelf queens)
Regards, :-[ we feel your pain...