News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ID the Reefer!

Started by GovB, October 18, 2009, 02:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GovB

Here is a reefer proported to be a Bachmann on eBay. I have my doughts. I've checked my limited collection of Bachmann & LGB catalogs and found nothing. Can any one ID this reefer ???

Thanks, GovB  :)
Happy Rails to You, GovB

Cascade Northern

That looks more like a USA Trains Reefer to me.

GovB

Thanks for that lead. I googled USA Trains #1641 and the first thing that popped up was "USA Trains Info Registry – TrainBoard.com". Listed about half way down the page is #R-1641 Saint Louis Beer 1641. You guys are great.

Thanks, GovB :) :)
Happy Rails to You, GovB

altterrain

Yup, its one of Charlie's USAT cars. They are the well built and the same size as big hauler cars but a bit heavier.

-Brian
President of

Joe Satnik

Dear Brian,

Beautiful layout, engine and rolling stock.  Thanks for the nice photo.

Were you trying to compare USAT (1:29) and Bachmann Big Hauler (1:22.5) reefers in your photo?

If so, which ones are which?

Thanks. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Alex Butner

That is definitely a USA Trains reefer. You can tell because it is smaller than Bachmann reefers and USA Trains reefers are skinnier. Also, Bachmann has not made an Anheuser-Busch reefer for the Big Hauler line. Correct me if I'm wrong.

altterrain

You can't tell which is which in that consist because they are all the same size. There's a Big Hauler, an AristoClassic car, a LGB car and two USAT steel boxcars (American series 36' cars). All the 36' cars - woodside, outside braced and sim.steel box cars and reefers are the same size as Big Hauler cars and mix well in narrow gauge or standard gauge consists.

btw - that was a layout pic from a  couple of years ago, very early spring. It looks a bit different now -

-Brian
President of

Jon D. Miller

Since the subject of car length came up might as well comment.

Bachmann Big Hauler box and reefers are longer than those of USAT.

The Bachmann reefer is on the bottom with the USAT on top. Clearly the Bachmann car is longer.

Now, that small difference in length is not that great, so mixed in with USAT and the also shorter Aristo Classic cars when running in a consist it's not that noticable.

So, this information, along with a dollar will probably get you a cup of coffee.  ;)  Just wanted to set the record straight.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

FordcvP71

They make up for being shorter by being a little taller & wider  ;)

GovB

I like the differences. It's the realism that makes this fun for me.  :) GovB

Happy Rails to You, GovB