News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Conrail SD-45 Uncoupling

Started by Power Stroke, October 19, 2009, 12:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Power Stroke

I have the aforementioned loco and it suffers from constant uncoupling. It seems like the couplers are too high (actually, the whole model seems to sit high), and as it travels across my layout, when encountering a 9-3/4 radius (of which I have many) or any uneveness, the headend car uncouples. It is worse the more rolling stock I place behind it.
I have tried bending the couplers buit to no avail.
It still has the factory Rapidos on it.
Does anyone have a remedy?
Outside of this issue, it is a decent loco but I hesitate to use it because of this.
None of the rest of my fleet does this, and I have Atlas, Bachmann,  Kato, Life Like, and Proto N.
Here is a pic of it along with my Model Power/Life Like hybrid

Franz T

The easiest remedy would be a MicroTrains 1015, especially if there is uneven track work; crapidos have an annoying habit of lifting over one another in that case. When you install the MTs, you also have the chance to shim the draft gear box lower..

Power Stroke

Ok then,
I guess my next questions would be. Do the MT couplers come with the shims and is it a simple R&R operation?
Excuse my ignorance, I am returning to the hobby after some 25 years away.

David Leonard

I would second the suggestion of MTL couplers. If you don't want to change out all your equipment to Micro-Trains, just put an MTL coupler on the front of one freight can and always run it with the SD45.

Franz T

The MT 1015's are available as assembled units (I believe they come 2 pair to a package) or in kit form (10 pair /pk) either way they come with shims. On my SD-45 I used ACC to mount them in place. Simply remove the screw holding the old coupler in place and toss the coupler. On the Dash 8's you can use the screw to mount the 1015's; however, for some reason on the SD-45's this puts the couple pocket too far back and it interferes with the truck. I  did not need to use a shim...
If you plan to convert your entire fleet to MT's, I would recommend getting the 10 packs of unassembled 1015's. You can buy complete trucks with couplers for about 30-40 Bucks for 10 pair and it is a matter of simply pulling out the bolster pin and replacing the truck (except for Bachmann cars where you have to enlarge the hole in the truck where the mounting screw goes) Getting the 1015's in kits reduces your cost to 1/4 of the assembled trucks, and body mount couplers are more reliable than truck mounts. Be aware there is a short but steep learning curve involved and if you go that route I would definitely get MT's assembly jig. I have converted my fleet of 135 locos and  350+ cars and at this point it takes me less than a minute to assemble a coupler ;D
At first I was reluctant to convert due to the cost and work involved: but now that I have done so I am glad I did. There is absolutely no comparison between MicroTrain couplers and Crapidos. Sort of like Rolls Royce and Yugo.... :)