News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2 truck - Shay vs Climax

Started by bob39520, October 14, 2009, 07:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob39520

I am new (10 mo. into model RR) and building my 1st On30 layout. It will be a logging layout ( surprise, surprise) and I am considering a Shay or Climax w/DDC & sound. My questions are:

1. Will the Climax take the same radius curves as the Shay?

2. Having read through the discussions on the above 2 loco's, would I be better off buying a brass import? I am not that handy or knowledgeable on the detail of the various problem fixes under discussion. In fact, I hardly understood half of what was being said!

Your expert advise on this matter will be deeply appreciated...
Pelahatchie Bob

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
They will both negotiate 18" radius.
A brass model will cost four to five times a much, and probably not run as well.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Linzthom

Hi Bob,

If you can get to, have a real good look at the gear trains of both locos at the shop. I mean a  real good. As close as you can.

If you suspect anything point it out to the shopowner. If you are buying it through mail order, well, you pays your money and takes your chances, I'm afraid. Although the mail order shop should honour the purchase and Bachman definately will.

Other wise, I'd go for the Climax as a personal choice. Nice loco. It will negotiate 15" curves as well.

Bachman stuff is great, so welcome to the fun mad world of On30

But we all know we'd :

RATHER HAVE A HEISLER !!!!

Sorry, just couldn't help myself there. ;D ;D ;D

Lindsay T.

http://heisler.webs.com/
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

bob39520

Quote from: Linzthom on October 15, 2009, 03:41:48 PM

Other wise, I'd go for the Climax as a personal choice. Nice loco. It will negotiate 15" curves as well.

Bachman stuff is great, so welcome to the fun mad world of On30

But we all know we'd :

RATHER HAVE A HEISLER !!!!

http://heisler.webs.com/

Looked at your site. Very nice,although a Heisler looks a little funny. But hey, just a few months ago I thought a Shay and a Climax looked funny. Anyway, will take your advise. I am going to buy the Spectrum 28 ton two-truck Climax. Thank-You ...
Pelahatchie Bob

El Loco

I prefer the shay, more stuff  to watch : :o  much more intricate :)

Tom_Carter

I have a Climax and LOVE the thing, just a neat little locomotive.  I think you'll really enjoy it.  Runs as great as it looks.

bob39520

Quote from: Tom_Carter on October 19, 2009, 06:32:49 PM
I have a Climax and LOVE the thing, just a neat little locomotive.  I think you'll really enjoy it.  Runs as great as it looks.

Thanks for the support. I ordered the one w/factory installed DCC and sound. Has not arrived yet but am interested to hear how it looks and sounds on my little HO layout. As for running, it will have to wait until I build something for it to run on!
Pelahatchie Bob

Tom_Carter

I have a 12' test track with a Bachmann EZ-DCC controller, and test run it occasionally, and for a while, I set up a loop of EZ Track from my christmas tree set to test it and a few other recent purchases out.  I antagnized the cats for a day with them and then put it all away.