News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation won't run

Started by doug1976, December 03, 2009, 12:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug1976

I have a consolidation running under the tree this year and we always turn it off overnight and other times throughout the day.  This morning the train would not even light up, and I noticed a layer of black substance on the tracks and wheels of the train, I assume this is oil.  Any tips to get my engine back running or is this a service call to Bachmann?

ABC

There is nothing wrong with your engine. All you have to do is wipe off all the black stuff from the wheels of the engine and the track. You can moisten a cloth with a touch of track cleaning solution and wipe everything off then apply conducta-lube very very sparingly on the track with a cloth. The problem is that you are getting poor or no electrical pick-up, once you clean all that off everything should be fine.

doug1976

I had wiped down the track and tried another loco and it was able to run, I will try cleaning off this loco more and see if I can get anything.  My fear is that something inside burned and leaked oil and therefore the engine is dead.  I will give this a shot and see what happens.

doug1976

Is there 1 specific wheel on this loco that takes in the power?  It looks like the 3rd main wheel on the right side is the one I am talking about, across from the wheel with the rubber around it.  This wheel is blacker than the others after a cleaning, but I see a very small line of clean metal of the same colors as all the other ones.  If I am right that only 1 wheel takes in the power, this wheel has become very dirty and is the cause of the problems.  Any tips to get this thing cleaned up and running?

ABC

At least all the non-traction tire drive wheels should pick up power. Did you try using like a pinch track cleaning fluid or conducta-lube. I have even used a Bright-Boy/track eraser to wipe off the wheels.  Did you also have other cars on the layout at the time this happened? If so it would be well advised to clean those wheels too or else you'll have the same problem all over again, because if the wheels on your rolling stock are dirty then the track will just get dirty again from the dirty wheels on your other cars.

doug1976

I put some rail-zip on the wheels, I will let it sit for a bit and then give it another go.  I did have some stock on the line as well, and I will be cleaning those before they go back on, I just want to get this loco back in service before i worry about those.  I did run another loco on the track after I cleaned it up and it runs just fine, so the problem is exclusively with this loco, hopefully this rail cleaner will do the trick.  Thanks for your help.

doug1976

Just gave it another shot and it is now operating.  I will clean the rails and the wheels again tonight and let the solution sit to really give it a good cleaning.  Thanks for everything!

ABC

Your welcome, hope everything works out for you.