News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Electrified Trucks

Started by Bill Baker, October 29, 2009, 02:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes electrified trucks?  I'm trying to illuminate a caboose and I would prefer to pick up the power from the tracks.  I prefer this method rather than using a battery or making my own home made connections. I've checked at my LHS, Walthers and eBay, but either I'm putting the wrong words in the search function, or there are none available.

Thanks for any help.
Bill
Bill

jonathan

Bill,

I also like to illuminate my cabeese.  I was never able to find "electrified" trucks, so I had to make them from Kadee centering springs. 

It requires a little patience because the parts are so small.  Of course you need to use insulated wheelsets with a smooth backing. 

Good luck with your search.

Regards,

Jonathan

lmackattack

John I like that set up. 4 wheel pick up off each rail.. that has to elimante the bulb flicker a little bit.

I have used metal wheels with a tabs that contact over the axels. just like on steam engine tender pick up,
Just remember to stager the trucks and wheels so it does not short!!

rich1998

also athearn/roundhouse sells the tender trucks used on their roundhouse steam locomotives. the trucks come complete with wheels, pickups for all the wheels and wires to the pickups on the trucks. i have bought some. the part number is 2428-pr03. They come ready to install and connect wires.
below is a different way of using the kadee springs. a lot of other good ideas there also.
http://www.2guyzandsumtrains.com/Content/pa=showpage/pid=5.html
lex

Woody Elmore

Just about any truck can be used for pick-up if it has metal wheels and axles. Phosphor bronze wipers can be fashioned and attached to the bolster.  It just requires a little tinkering.

Since the metal wheel sets are insulated you'd have to be sure that one truck had the insulated wheels to the left and the other to the right.

rich1998

both uninsulated and uninsulated wheels can be used. i keep the insulated on one side. just watch where the pickups are located on the wheels. Look carefully at the photos of the all wheel pickup setup. will be difficult to do with brass trucks.
lex

jerryl

I can't see where it would matter which side the insulated wheels are on, only where the wires are attached.

ABC

Quote from: jerryl on October 30, 2009, 01:36:38 PM
  I can't see where it would matter which side the insulated wheels are on, only where the wires are attached.
I think it would matter if you had a brass caboose or passenger car connected to another brass car. Sometimes if the coupler if made of a material that is a good conductor, then it can transfer from one car to the next and cause a short. It was common back in the day when a lot of the parts were made of conductive metals.

rich1998

look at the picture jonathan posted. if the truck is brass, you will have a short between both sides with the kadee springs attached to the brass truck. people who do this with brass trucks insulate the kadee spring or phosphor wire on one side. if you only pickup from two wheels, ok.
his picture shows the best type of pickup. all four wheels on each truck using a plastic truck. most people here will use plastic trucks.  i put all the insulated wheels on the same side. my way. i drill and tap for 0-80 machine screws.  i drill a hole in the kadee spring for the 0-80 screw.
lex

jerryl

I just assumed that we were talking about plastic trucks. If they were brass you would have a short either way. You would have to mount the pickup on a pc. of plastic & either glue everything or use a plastic screw.  But with plastic trucks you can put the insulated wheels on either side.