News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Battery capacity

Started by bopdoc, October 22, 2009, 09:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bopdoc

I would like to run a Spectrum Shay loco (probably the 38-ton 2-truck model) on battery power, but am concerned about how much running time I can expect from a battery small enough to fit in that tender (or loco); I would prefer not to have a trailing box car behind the engine. Thanks.

Jon D. Miller

Run time with on-board batteries would be a SWAG at best.

Run time will depend on just how many and what type batteries you can cram into the locomotive.  There won't be much space available in the bunker once an on-board receiver and sound system is installed.

For most RC systems and the Shay you'll want at least 14.4 volts of power available to operate the locomotive.

You'll probably end up with the batteries in the boiler of the locomotive. No easy task, but it has been done by any number of folks.

What you'll probably find is the need for a following battery car in order to gain extended run times.  It's possible to set the locomotive up to run, usually light and for short periods of time, off of the on-board batteries.

A following battery car can be plugged in for those times that extended running is desired. 

Possibly someone that visits this site and has both the RC receiver, sound, and batteries on-board will be able to give you more detailed information.

Good Luck!

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

JerryB

My 2 truck Shay is equipped with RCS radio control and internal batteries carried in the tender. Current batteries are 2 x 7.6V NiCds in series to provide 14.4V, and are rated at 2,000 mAHr. No sound in the Shay, but all lighting is fully functional via the R/C.

Run time is well in excess of 2 hours continuous, and in normal operations (like a prototype operation, not round and round) we run between 3 and 4 hours and the batteries still have power left.

The RCS system installation has the charger jack on the rear of the tender / locomotive frame. That charger jack is designed to also automatically accept the input from a battery car, so if really long runs are required (such as continuous round and round operation), a battery car could be used without permanently hooking it up.

Northwest RCS, who supplied my RCS systems and did the installation has provided battery cars in the form of loaded log cars, with the batteries in the logs. The locomotive will run off the internal batteries when running light, then the battery car is plugged in to provide extremely long run times. That allows the use of the locomotive 'stand alone' or hooked up to a log (or any other) 'load.' The continuous run time in this configuration is truly limitless.

I have not found the need for a battery car in my operation, but the connection is there without any modifications.

The latest NWRCS replacement batteries for the Shay are NiMH, with 3300 mAHr capacity. I will go to those when my current NiCds need replacing, but run time is not a prolem.
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Kevin Strong

Figure on an average current draw somewhere around 1 amp for the Shay. That means a battery rated at 2.5 amp hours will run for around 2.5 hours. That's what I currently run in my Heisler, and I get between 2 and 3 hours from each set of batteries. If you go with LiIon (Lithium Ion) batteries, you can get even longer run times in about the same space. For instance, I have a 4.4 amp hour LiIon pack that takes up roughly the same space as my 12 AA-sized NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries. You can get a 2.2 amp hour LiIon pack that takes up about half that space, and will easily fit in the tender of the Shay, still leaving you ample room for electronics.

Later,

K

Loco Bill

Kevin,   in your heisler did you put sound in it as well?  Where did everything go?  Were you able to make the tender top removable to change batteries? or do you charge them on board?

Thanks
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Kevin Strong

The coal load is removable to get to the batteries--3 AA four-pack clips. The RCS throttle and Sierra Sound board are also in the bunker against the rear and side walls. The RCS receiver and speaker are in the firebox. (The RCS antenna is attached to the Heisler's handrail for added range.)

Later,

K

Tony Walsham

Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Loco Bill

Kevin, Thanks for the info, I like having the batteries removable for charging, because it doesn't tie up the loco with a charging jack hooked to it.   I will do mine your way.

Tony,  I actually had your conversion artice on mls stored on my computer.  You did a nice job and the photos are very helpful.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

bopdoc

Thank you Jon, Jerry and Kevin (nice article on bridge cribbing in GR). I am now optimistic about using batteries, although am still bewildered by all that is out there for RC, charging methods, combined track/battery, etc; I think I need to just get my feet wet with one system, and go from there...Cheers.

NarrowMinded

Hi,
I built an elevated Loop in my daughters room and was thinking of switching to Batteries, Has anybody here heard of, or made a charging track? a section that you park the loco on and then it charges through wheel pickups? 

NM