Does everyone with a train in a dusty box think it's worth a million $$

Started by NarrowMinded, October 22, 2009, 09:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug c

" . . .model railroad items are decreasing in value...not the other way around. I would suspect this is a reflection of the current state of our economy."

AND that  younger generation are not into a hands-on hobby like MR .   

For different reasons  tea cups and saucers for quite a few yrs now,  also have no appeal (interest nor monetarily) for mid-age and younger crowd  . . . .

doug  c     
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

mf5117

my 1962 Lionel set with the 2-4-2 engine with smoke ., grey lehigh hopper ,unmarked boxcar, and a burnt orange Lionel caboose . I think my dad bought it with cigarette coupons . worth about 50-75 $ .I think it has been out of the book twice in 30 yrs. But to me it's worth hmmmmmmmm has no value .I wouldn't sell it .

If you could see all the tyco stuff I have boxed. my mother was very strict on keeping things in there place and in its box when we were done  playing .bering from a military family. the advantage is most  of the toys from my childhood ,still have boxes and instructions 99% of the parts. my mother was a pack rat

SMaz

So, from the discussions here, I take it those new, never been used 30 year old Bachmann N-scale diesel locos I found whilst going through my old train collections aren't worth diddly?

And here I thought retirement was in sight...  :'(

Maybe if I put 'em on eBay with the original sales receipt signed by Elvis?  Elvis Johnston?  ;D

Woody Elmore

Quote from: mf5117 on November 01, 2009, 08:21:08 AM
my 1962 Lionel set with the 2-4-2 engine with smoke ., grey lehigh hopper ,unmarked boxcar, and a burnt orange Lionel caboose .

From what I've read, Lionel made 50 variations of the ATSF style caboose that was included in a lot of train sets. There are different colors and markings. Some are rare. There are people who collect just Lionel cabooses. Who knows, you might be holding on to a new truck - the Walmart kind - in the toy aisle!

The best thing to do with old Lionel trains is to set them up and run them.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: mf5117 on November 01, 2009, 08:21:08 AM
If you could see all the tyco stuff I have boxed. my mother was very strict on keeping things in there place and in its box when we were done  playing .bering from a military family. the advantage is most  of the toys from my childhood ,still have boxes and instructions 99% of the parts. my mother was a pack rat

Heh, you never know, you might be holding onto something that some Tyco collector just needs to add to his collection. ...