News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Friendly website suggestion

Started by BKJ, October 25, 2009, 01:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKJ

Hi,

I came to this site in part to find the length of your ON30 log cars. So far, I haven't been able to find any info on the length, either in scale or actual length. I understand that I may not be looking in the correct area, so correct me if I'm wrong.

If indeed there is no data on the length, would it be possible to update your database to add some fields for the length of the items you sell?

Just a suggestion.

Thanks,

Bruce

rich1998

maybe this link will hel you. http://tinyurl.com/yheoqe4
this guys ahs a lot of good info for on30.
http://tinyurl.com/ykze3rh
lex

BKJ

Thanks Lex!

It still doesn't tell me the length of the car. (unless I am missing the obvious!)

I do like that link on ON30 and have it bookmarked.

Thanks again,

Bruce

rich1998

Quote from: BKJ on October 25, 2009, 02:00:23 PM
Thanks Lex!

It still doesn't tell me the length of the car. (unless I am missing the obvious!)

I do like that link on ON30 and have it bookmarked.

Thanks again,

Bruce

hi bruce

the product details in the link says Product Dimensions: 13.6 x 8.4 x 3 inches ; 2 pounds sounds like the length and height of the wood load. the 13.6 inches should be a close length for the car. harold in the other link usually answers email. these forums are good but special forums help a lot specialy with dcc
lex

BKJ

Hi Lex,

I believe those dimensions are for the box with the 3 cars in them. It still doesn't give me the length of an individual logging car.

I just want to know the length of a car. Some scale log cars are anywhere from 15' to about 24' or 3.75" to about 6".

I just can't find a reference to it and there is no Hobby Shop in my area to go look at them. That's why I came here.

Thanks,

Bruce

Jim Banner

Bruce,
The trucks look like regular freight trucks which are 1.5" over all length.  The photo of the log car as seen on my computer screen gave 1-3/8" and 1-1/4" for the apparent over all lengths of the two trucks (the difference is in the perspective.)  Averaging these gave 1-5/6".  The apparent length of the center sill measured 3-1/2".  Lengthening this by the ratio of actual to apparent length of the trucks gave 4".  So based on that, the Julian date, and my grandmother's age, I would say the center sills are 4" long give of take 1/4" which would be 15 to 17 scale feet.  Over the couplers would be slightly longer.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

BKJ

LOL!

Wow, that was some interesting mental gymnastics!

Yes, there are ways to figure it out but a quick look on this website should answer those questions, that is all I'm saying.

Thanks again,

Bruce

SteamGene

Jim,
How can your grandmother only be 25?  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

Every heard the song or poem "I am My Own Grandpa"?

It is sort of like that, only different.

(for the younger set, I offer this link:

http://www.ellenbailey.com/poems/ellen_193.htm

Jim

ebtbob

An amended message,   not being home right now......length of On30 log car is approx 4-5 inches long.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

renniks

Length is 5" over couplers.

Eric UK

az2rail

The centersill lenght is 4 1/2"s, over all length is 5"s, width is 1 3/4"s, logs are 3 5/8" long.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Jim Banner

I hang my head in shame.  My longest estimated length was 1/4" short.  Thanks Eric and Bruce for the true facts.

Jim

BKJ