News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO E-Z Track

Started by Tyke, April 14, 2007, 12:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyke

I have an E-Z track layout with the slide/press switches that came with the Bachmann track pack. These slide switches join together in series and provide power to the right and left track switches. In my opinion, they are pretty cheesy and tend to come unjoined at the slightest provocation.

Is there a more substantial set of E-Z track switches on the market?
I've checked my local hobby and numerous catalogs without finding any. I did see some nice Atlas switches, but I don't think I can use them with E-Z tack.

SteamGene

It is totally possible to use Atlas switches with E-Z track.  What you must do is build a roadbed to the level of the E-Z track roadbed for the Atlas turnout.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

Mounting the control switches on a piece of board may help, even if all you use is double sided tape.  But a better alternative, IMHO, is to use miniature push buttons mounted in a control panel that shows a track plan of your layout.  I have used two push buttons per turnout, one on each side of each turnout's symbol on the control panel.  The one on the left of the symbol throws the turnout to the left.  The one on the right throws the turnout to the right.  This type of setup makes it much easier to figure out which button to push for which turnout.  This becomes increasingly important as the number of turnouts increases.

Atlas slide and push control switches will also work with Bachmann turnouts, but require a bit more work to wire them up.

I believe SteamGene was confusing switches with turnouts when he posted his otherwise excellent advice.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

On more reason to use "turnout" and "switch"  ::)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Derek O

Tyke - I agree with you and found some atlas 56 switches on ebay and at a train show. Here's the slide-out control panel I built for my steel ez-track 5'x9' layout. It took a little planning but my young son and his friends have no problems operating it.

Panel is made of 1/8 inch plywood.

Have fun!  Derek

jayl1

Derek,
Nice & organized setup!!

Tyke

All:

Thanks for the good suggestions.

Derek, I like your setup!

Tyke

Paul M.

Control panel looks nice... I hope to have something like that for my layout when I get it wired.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Paul M.

One question though, Derek:

How'd you make the schematic diagram of your layout?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Derek O

Paul - the schematic was made using the Atlas Righttrack freeware track design program http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm.

Then I copied/ pasted into Microsoft Paint (included with Windows 98 operating system) to clean up, add colour, lines and text. This program is really easy to use; just zoom in and edit pixel by pixel.

Final image was then pasted into MSWord and printed on a colour laser printer.

Thanks for asking. Derek