News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

correcting a warped car

Started by SteamGene, April 24, 2007, 04:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I have a Rivarossi light weight bi-level sleeper whose shell got warped while spending time in our garage.  I've heard the warp can be cured by heated water or steam.  Has anybody tried that and what is the exact procedure?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

WoundedBear

I have successfully de-warped model car bodies with hot water.....both plastic and resin.

I run a sink full of straight hot water in the kitchen.....submerge  the body and let sit for a couple minutes.

Get the cold water running.....(this works best in double kitchen sinks)....as soon as you take the body out of the hot bath, twist it into shape......but....go past the point you want it set at. Plastic has memory.

Holding it in the twisted position, douse it under the cold water and hold till cool. Use the counter top or a piece of glass to check flatness of lower edge or corners.

Repeat as needed until the body holds the corrected shape.  If you dont have an interior you could possibly brace the car from inside with strip styrene or even brass to add some rigidity.

If the chassis is flat, then once you have the shell tweaked, glue it securely to the chassis and it should hold. Not sure if you like to glue your shells down or not....just a thought.

Sid