News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing cab of 2-8-0

Started by tomt491, October 26, 2009, 05:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomt491

I have a friends 2-8-0 consolidation that went through a house fire. His kitchen fell on top of it. Fortunately, the major damage was a lot of lime/calcium buildup on the piping that I was able to remove with a Q-tip soaked in vinegar.

The other problem is the side windows of the cab were pushed in. I managed to retrieve them, but need help to put them back in. How does the cab come off? I can see two small latches or catches on the underside that go through slots in the frame. The cab needs to be loose so that those latches can slide forward to pull out of the slots.

Has anyone removed the cab and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Tom Troughton

El Loco

There is a screw holding the  front of the cab coming upwards from the inside of the broiler.  To get to that screw you have to remove the broiler and cab assembly as one unit.  after that it lifts upwards on a locator  slot in the broiler. surely others will chime in . ;)

tomt491

El Loco,

Thanks for responding. I was hoping there would be an easier solution, but if that's what it's going to take that's what I'll do. I went to Bachmann's home page to see if there was a disassembly diagram, but only managed to find and save their PDF of parts.

Thanks again.
Tom T

C.S.R.R. Manager

Hopefully this online PDF will load properly for you.  And I do think that Banta makes a wood cab for the 2-8-0.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/25960.pdf

Manager/

tomt491

Hello C.S.R.R. Manager,

Thanks for the PDF. That's the same one that I was able to download earlier in my search of a way to remove the cab. It doesn't show the complete process but it does indicate some of the things I'm going to have to deal with.

I appreciate your help.

Tom Troughton

El Loco

Quote from: tomt491 on October 27, 2009, 12:13:36 PM
El Loco,

Thanks for responding. I was hoping there would be an easier solution, but if that's what it's going to take that's what I'll do. I went to Bachmann's home page to see if there was a disassembly diagram, but only managed to find and save their PDF of parts.

Thanks again.
Tom T
Your very welcome, I didnt use any PDF files I cautiously removed parts until I found the method of mounting. Perhaps I should look those pesky files over from time to time. ;)

pacbelt

...... There is NO known easy diagram for removing the Cab. ???
Once I figured it out - it was pretty easy!!

Two screws inside the Ashpan in the rear, and one screw in the middle of the piston assy, and the BOILER (not Broiler) comes right out!

Then, on the inside of the Boiler, one screw holds the front of the Cab on...

Cheers!!