News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Actual length of specific steam locomotives

Started by Flyer, October 22, 2009, 03:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

What is the actual length (in inches) of the HO Bachmann  Berkshire steam locomotive and tender?

ABC

Are you asking for the wheel base or just the length (and if asking for length...should it include the couplers)?

SteamGene

The norm is from coupler face to coupler face.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

The length of the Bachmann C&O K4 Kanawha is 14 5/8 inches, coupler face to coupler face.  Since it doesn't have the correct pilot, I'm going to assume its length is the same as for the Berkshsires as well. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Flyer

Just trying to figure out what size turntable would be needed.

SteamGene

You will need the 130 foot.  A real Van Sweringen (sic) 2-8-4 is longer than 90 feet.  In fact, it's almost longer than a stock USRA light Mallet. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

BestSnowman

My PM 1218 Berkshire is approximately 14 inches long.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

SteamGene

The actual NKP Berkshire is 99 feet long.  The C&O and PM should be the same length.   You need a 100ft plus turntable. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

FECfan

Alright, I have physically measured the berkshires, and I would say that at least a 100 foot turntable would be appropriate (believe me, some people are no help with these questions, I have asked many a question like this, and it ALWAYS gets WAYYYY off topic)

SteamGene

What answer was off topic?  I counted three answers which agreed with each other to a tolerable degree of accuracy.   But now the thread may get side tracked.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Flyer

Thanks to all respondents - I have a satisfatory answer now  Cheers,  Flyer