News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA locomotive question

Started by nickco201, October 29, 2009, 01:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickco201

If I remember correctly the USRA light mikado and light mountain had basically the same diameter boiler, but the mountains was longer and had a bigger firebox.   Is this also true with the USRA heavy mikado and heavy mountain? please correct me if that is incorrect.   Also are there any prototype drawings out there for the heavy mountain or heavy pacific ?   

ebtnut

I don't have my reference materials handy at the moment, but if memory serves, the light Mike and the light Pacific shared similar boilers, while the light Santa Fe and the light Mountain shared similar boilers.  Check out the Model Railroader Cyclopedia, Vol. 1, Steam Locomotives, and the similar cyclopedia published by Hundman for plans of most of the USRA locos.

Atlantic Central

ebtnut,

Close - the light Santa Fe shares the boiler design of the Heavy Mountain.

And you are correct the light Mike and Light Pacific share boiler design.

Dawings of most USRA types are in the "MR - Cyclopedia - 1, Steam Locomotives" edited by Linn Westcott and published by Kalmbach. Now out of print I believe but stil readily available.

While the light Mountain and Light Pacific boilers are very similar, the Heavy Mike and Heavy mountian are not, except for the feature common to all larger USRA designs, the tapered boiler. THe Heavy Mountain boiler is tapered all the way from the smoke box, the first section of a heavy Mike boiler is not tapered.

Sheldon

ebtnut

OK, Sheldon, thanks for getting the real info.  As noted, I was working from memory outside my home library. 

nickco201

Thanks!
  I am asking because I am finishing up a live steam Ps-4 in 7.5 inch gauge and would like to build a USRA heavy mountain and there are castings available for the USRA heavy mike and I wanted to use the dome castings and smokebox front castings from the mike on the mountain.

In my Southern reference book by Richard Prince.
It lists the Ts-1 4-8-2 ( USRA light) as having 79inch inside diameter boiler right behind the smoke box.
The MS-1 2-8-2 ( USRA light) is also 79.
The Ps-4  4-6-2 ( basically USRA heavy) is 76 5/8. my model is 10 3/4 in. OD boiler at front.
The Ms-4 2-8-2 ( USRA heavy mike)  is 84.5. The railroad warehouse model is 11 5/8 inch at boiler front. 
The Ss-1 2-10-2 ( USRA light )  is 87.5

I am sure that the light pacific which I do not have the outlines for is around 70 inches or so. So a good bit smaller than the Ps-4.  So from that book it does seem that the light mike and light mountain are the same as far as diameter goes.  The firebox for the Ms-1 is 114 X 84 approx and the mountain ( Ts-1) is the same except the length is 120.    The Ps-4 and Ts-1 also have the same size firebox.
Again I really appreciate the info.

Woody Elmore

Wow - I sure would love to see your Ps-4 when finished. It is my all time favorite steam locomotive. Good luck with your building.

nickco201

Thanks!
I hope to have it finished one of these days. I just got the trailing truck finished. And also have been working on the tender and almost have it finished. Once I get the locomotive finished I would really like to build  3-4 Crescent limited pullman cars and then start on either a N&W Class A or a heavy mountain.
Here is a link to a youtube video of a freinds Ps-4 at a track in Dunlap, TN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZ9wGpANjs

I would love for someone to make a nice one in HO.  The only ones are PSC and PFM brass, it would be nice if Broadway ltd. would make a nice brass hybrid one.