News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

big hauler link and pin

Started by leftyfretguy, November 02, 2009, 10:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leftyfretguy

I am debating putting link and pins on my bachmann big hauler equipment but I have no real experience with link and pin.  Has anyone done this before?  How does it look?  How do they perform on that type of equipment?  How do they handle in reverse(a very important consideration)?
thanks,
matt

Nathan

I have put the LGB link and pin on several Bachmann loco's and cars.  While they look good, the plastic link does break if it gets twisted.  I have not worked with any other manufactures units.

If your hands are large, like mine, you may have trouble reaching between some cars to couple and uncouple.

Jon D. Miller

I have over 50 cars with link and pin couplers.  I've been running L&P cars since 1993. Most, but not all, cars are either disconnects or skeleton log cars.  You better have a lot of patience if going to link and pin. ;)

A number of the skeleton log cars are Bachmann.  Also have four Bachmann box cars and one bobber caboose equipped with L&P drawheads.

Most all the link and pins are Ozark.  On Bachmann locomotives that come with L&P drawheads I use them.  If a locomotive does not come with L&P drawheads then four pocket drawheads are installed.

Link and pin equipped cars will not handle 2 foot radius (4 ft. diameter curves) unless you use short draw bars between the cars in place of the links.  In some cases you may even have to use a rooster.

The cars will back OK but track work must be first rate and the consist must be backed very slowly.

Putting the pins in place is a chore.  Fat fingers don't work well when trying to place pins in the drawheads.  I use an offset tweezers to put the pins in place.

L&P looks good but are a real pain, but for equipment of the L&P era they're the way to go.  Just allow plenty of time to assemble a consist. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq3eb1dbX0M

This YouTube video shows two Shays.  The first Shay is pulling a consist of all cars with L&P couplers.  The second Shay's consist is knuckle equipped cars.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

R. J. Raleigh

I use Ozark's link and pin coupler kits on all my Centennials...4-4-0 and 2-6-0.....and all my 1:20.3 20' boxcars, gondolas and flats. I have no problems after the installation and initial adjustments.
But I wouldn't run on any diameter less than 8'. But as a side note, when doubleheading locos, I would make a metal (brass) coupling bar as the original plastic drawbar tends to break.
Knuckle couplers just don't look correct on these locos and rolling stock.