News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Log Skidder has arrived!

Started by scvngman, December 31, 2009, 11:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scvngman

I just received my new log skidder. As I look at it closely, I think Bachmann might be playing the scale game on this one. It is listed as 1:20.3 but it looks small to me. Is that why it came in a box marked Big Hauler? I will have to dig out my Ozark Miniatures Dolbeer engine, which is 1:22.5 scale, to compare. Does anyone else think it is small for 1:20.3?

In any case the skidder is well detailed and I like it.

NarrowMinded

Hi, Couple of Questions

Is there a specific proto they modeled this from?
Do the parts move?

If the parts move by hand I might get one of these and add a motor and smoke unit for a little more life on my layout.

Thanks
NM

Jon D. Miller

The parts do not move. The spools, brakes,  and gears are molded as one piece. 

There is no builders plate or name attached to the skidder so that information could be used to determine scale.  Since skidders were produced in so many sizes it would be difficult to say for certain just what the scale is.

Due to it's size the skidder should be useable with any scale from 1:24 to 1:20.3.  Looking at old pictures where a skidder is on a flat car of known size might help to get a fix on just what the scale could be.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

tac

The OP is right - the flat IS the smaller scale version - the older 1/24th one if I'm not wrong.

The donkey looks good though, and is a prime target for some weathering.  It also makes the Ozark version look VERY small indeed.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

DennisT

This is pretty interesting.  I see one photo on Bachmann's opening web page....anyone have more photos posted anywhere??

Who has these at good prices now?  I've just begun to look, but I can tell I need one.

Dennis

tac

Quote from: DennisT on January 05, 2010, 09:36:24 AM
This is pretty interesting.  I see one photo on Bachmann's opening web page....anyone have more photos posted anywhere??

Who has these at good prices now?  I've just begun to look, but I can tell I need one.

Dennis

Depends where you are - they haven't arrived in UK yet, but the price here is a pretty reasonable £28.00 from my favourite dealer up in Scotland.

I'm getting the first one to turn up.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

scvngman

Quote from: DennisT on January 05, 2010, 09:36:24 AM

Dennis

I bought mine at Trainworld. They were around $30.