News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann sound decoder types

Started by rich1998, October 31, 2009, 10:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1998

i just got an answer from soundtraxx. yes i know the bach man answered already.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to do the research on this one for you. We had our technical staff at a trade show. The only decoders that have been installed in the Bachmann steam locomotives as an OEM product were the Tsunami series decoders, Hope this helps!

Allison Nataro
SoundTraxx Sales

sometimes it is best to go to the source.
lex

Jim Banner

Thanks, lex.  That settles that. 

Now to figure out why some Bachmann sound decoders have BEMF and some, apparently, do not.  Or maybe it was the earlier, and broader question, why do some "factory installed" decoders have BEMF while others do not.  The latter question begs the further question concerning what constitutes "factory installed" and what does not.

It is good having Allison's answer, but I wish she had gone one step further and mentioned whether all the Tsunami series decoders installed as an OEM product in Bachmann steam locomotives were functionally identical or not.

Jim   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rich1998

here is the complete message. i clipped some out the first time. sorry. maybe some decoders had a software issue. i want to believe people know how to use bemf.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to do the research on this one for you. We had our technical staff at a trade show. The only decoders that have been installed in the Bachmann steam locomotives as an OEM product were the Tsunami series decoders, so they would all have BEMF.

lex

Jim Banner

Further research on Tony's Train Exchange website reveals that Bachmann had an early pilot program where Soundtraxx DSD-100LC decoders were installed in certain Spectrum locomotives.  This was announced in October 2002.

ref:http://www.tonystrains.com/tonystips/2002/102602b.htm

This was approximately 3 years before Soundtraxx released the tsunami onto the market.

reg:http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/sndtrx-tsunami.htm

This does not dispute Allison's claim.  The present Bachmann decoders with Tsunami Technology are OEM parts.  The off-the-shelf LC series decoders were normal, retail parts, not OEM ones.  But the information from Tony's does explain why it is possible to run into Bachmann locomotives with factory installed sound decoders that do not have Hyper Drive (including BEMF control) and do not support analogue conversion.

ref: http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/lc_techref.pdf

Jim

edit: correct mathematical error:  2005 - 2002 = 3 years, not 2.

rich1998

wow quite interesting. litchfield station is not aware of that.
lex

Jim Banner

Quote from: lexon on November 01, 2009, 08:38:17 AM
... litchfield station is not aware of that.
lex

Not surprising, perhaps.  Seven years ago is ancient history in the DCC world.

Jim

rich1998

Quote from: Jim Banner on November 01, 2009, 12:58:21 PM
Quote from: lexon on November 01, 2009, 08:38:17 AM
... litchfield station is not aware of that.
lex

Not surprising, perhaps.  Seven years ago is ancient history in the DCC world.

Jim

yeah, and as you get older, time races by. i though dcc was introduce about a year ago.  ;) ;)
lex