News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler Changes

Started by chipbbald, October 31, 2009, 03:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipbbald

How does one change the couplers on a Bachmann engine or rolling stock? The new locomotive and boxcar I received have the smaller couplers on them, with two larger couplers with springs in an accompanying small plastic bag. I need to replace the small couplers with the large, but I can't figure out how to do that. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

en4cer

This can be challenging when working with N scale, but it is not impossible. I struggled the first few times I attempted it, but I perfected a way that works well for me. It would be a good idea to use an area on your workbench that will catch any parts that fall away, it happens. First when working with engines I very carefully remove the body, this gives me a clear working area. Then turn the engine over, each coupler has a cover that is snapped in place. Carefully unsnap the cover and remove it. Now keep in mind the small size you're working with, the springs are small so I use a toothpick as a tool to compress the spring back and remove the coupler. Install the replacement coupler and set the spring in place. Reinstall the cover and verify that the coupler is installed properly. It should sit straight and have a bit of flex to it when moved. If everthing is ok then repeat for the other coupler then reinstall the body. The rolling stock should be easier since there won't be a need to remove the body. Good luck and have fun.

chipbbald

Thanks, en4cer! What you say makes sense. I'll get one of my magnifying glasses to check out closely how the cover snaps in, then it ought to go fine with your directions. Sure is nice having folks out there who are willing to help.

gandoff

Chipbbald, I have recently purchased a caboose, (bachmann). I also had to change the couplerss. I spent many hours triing, lost 7 springs, got real frustrated as well. After redinding the replies to Your post, I tried it again. Success. I attempted the tooth pick idea, results wer'nt good. Got to remembering the past with Dad, He used toothpicks to apply glue to small spaces. I took a toothpick, placed a dab of gorilla glue to the back of the spring holder, compress the spring and inserted it it, waited for 15 or 20 minutes,  compressed the spring with another toothpick and inserted the new coupler, snaped the assembly back, and ran the car for 2 hours with the loco and other rolling stock. I had no problems. Just be careful with the glue.