News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 lead truck having problems on track.

Started by Dusten Barefoot, October 30, 2009, 10:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusten Barefoot

My new 4-6-0, which I am extremal happy with continually has the problem of running around the bend. The lead truck keeps on falling off. I have loosened the screws to let it be more flexable, but it all aways jumps the track. I have thought of a solution to it, but I really can't figure out how to do it. I need to add more weight to the truck, but I don't know how to approach it.

BTW. I had to fix the cab interior, It was all wrong, the throttle was way too far on the back head, and the gauges mounted in the wrong place, as well as the water lines in the way of the engineer. I solved it with super glue and black wire lol. I will post pictures of what I did. I based the cab on the locomotive, after #12.

Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Tim

Dustin

First check the wheel gauge on the truck,  if one of the wheel sets is out of gauge the truck
will track poorly.  In this case wide is worse than narrow.

The truck link on the 4-6-0 is as you have found out is fitted too tight for proper operation.

I have modified the link on two of them by thinning the link about 1/64" on the screw head side
at each end.  Then filed a taper on the opposite side.  In addition I opened the hole at each end
slightly to allow more wiggle room for the screw.  I also chamfered the holes top and bottom.

Adding weight is difficult as the link will hit any weight you put on the rear of the truck.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Alternatively one could make a new link out of thin brass, the wheel sets on the truck are
double insulated so no shorts.

ebtbob

Dustin,

You are not alone in having pilot truck problems with the 4-6-0.   I have one spot on my railroad where a curve ends a number six switch leads into the yard ladder.   It is here that both of my 4-6-0s derail.   I have relaid the track,  put in a guard rail and still have problems.   I will take a look at Tim's suggestions and see if his recommendations help.
       BTW.....Tim is a good friend and really knows "his stuff",  so listen to his suggestions.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Dusten Barefoot

Thanks for the help. I probably might need to relay the bend too. I am running on handlayed track with hand cut ties. I will do as you suggest Tim, but 1st I will see if the gauge of the track is off.

Thanks again for the help
Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

ebtnut

Make sure you have, or get, an NMRA standards gauge.  This will allow you to check the gauge of the wheels and the track, as well as the flangeways through the turnouts.  Also make sure to check for kinks in the curve.  Especially with hand-laid track, it's easy to get and extra-tight curve laid in that the truck won't go around.  Most decent hobby shops should carry the gauges, or you can order direct from the NMRA.