What Sound decoder works with Spectrum sd-40 with DCC

Started by 1960bugeye, November 07, 2009, 05:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1960bugeye

My son and I added DCC to our layout last year abd love it. We could only afford DCC equiped locomotives without sound. But since have added a few DCC with Sound loco and it has totally changed how much we use the layout. It is so much more fun with the sound.

I have seen an MRC addon sound decoder but it looks like it requires soldering. Not a skill I currently have. My son really doesn;t want me to ruin the trains. :)

Any drop in or replacement decoders I can use ?

Thanks.

ABC

Are you referring to decoders with a harness with a 8 or 9 pin plug?
Unfortunately, there are not any sound only decoders that have an 8 pin plug, so they would all require soldering. The sound only decoders cost about $40. The decoders that are multifunction and include sound often times are equipped with a harness for an 8-pin plug and start at $80. The sound only decoders do not include digital control of the motor, they only control the sound. Also you may have to purchase a speaker separately which will cost a bit more depending on what you buy.
Your 2 choices are to buy a soldering iron and learn how to solder (this will also pay dividends in the future ;D ) or to spend at least twice as much so that you have a decoder with an 8-pin plug .

NarrowMinded

Another choice is to pay the tech at the local train shop to install the unit. if you don't have a local shop there, then I geuss you will have to bite the bullet, and ABC is right, Learning to solder is a good money saving skill to have. just do yourself a favor and buy a high quality soldering "Pencil" and quality solder. you will find yourself fixing more then your trains. I suggest you find an old circuit board from something and practice removing components and resoldering them to get the hang of it.

NM