News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ball bearing wheels and kadee couplers

Started by nickco201, November 07, 2009, 08:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickco201

I have several1/20.3 bachmann hoppers and a few aristo craft heavy weight pullmans, and I am also thinking of buying a few accucraft 1/20.3 narrow gauge cars.
What is the best solution to make them roll better?   I know aristo and several other companies make ball bearing wheel sets. What bearings/ wheel sets do you recommend ?

Also I wanted to convert all the cars to kadee couplers. What number couplers do you recommend for these cars ?
Thanks!

glennk28

Kadee 830's fit the Spectrum cars, Kadee 835's fir the Accucrafts.  gj

jsmvmd

What is a source of ball bearing wheels now that San-Val is gone ?

Best Wishes,

Jack

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

I did a google search for San-Val and came up with a website in the Santa Inez, CA area.  Is it the same folks ?

Next question, I want to convert my Bachmann rolling stock to BB wheels.  Any experience with Aristo vs. San-Val ?  Is it just a swap out or do you have to ream the journals ?

Best Wishes,

Jack

Old John

Several years ago I bought bearings from an ad in "Finescale Railroader", I bought a ton of them, they were Timken bearings and very cheap.  I've installed them in all my rolling stock including Bachmann.  You drill out the journal with 1/4" drill 1/16" deep and snap in the bearing - the inside diameter of the bearing matches Bachmann axles perfectly.  You my be able to get the Company phone number from the Finescale Railroader website or Russ the publisher.

jsmvmd

Dear John,

Thanks !  I meant the San Ysidro valley.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Loco Bill

San Val wheels may be available,  The owner sells stuff on Ebay all the time under the name anaKramer .   Not sure about the spelling tho.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

jsmvmd

Dear Bill,

That is the website I found with a San-Val google search.

Thanks for the reply !

How are the Missouri mules out your way ?  The Penn State Nittany Lions have had their claws trimmed !

Jack