News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

P2K 0-8-0 headlite ? (plea for help)

Started by MrMunchkin, April 15, 2007, 06:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMunchkin

I recently put a decoder into a P2K 0-8-0. everything works fine EXCEPT for the front headlight (yes I did change both the front and rear bulbs over to leds) the rear one works fine but not the front one (yes, I've tried a couple different leds on the chance that the first one was defective, with no luck) this is a plugin decoder, so there's not much chance that it's wired wrong (I've tried a couple different decoders, each one works the same in this loco and works fine in others). Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS. Thanks in advance.  P.M.

SteamGene

You realize, I hope, that in steam times, up until the very end, locomotives turned the light on at night. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Nigel

Please confirm that you installed current limiting resistors for the LEDs, and you scoped the whole circuit for shorts and open with your multimeter.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Virginian

Reverse the polarity just on the off chance.
"What could have happened... did."

MrMunchkin

Nigel, no  did not, and I will this afternoon. I didn't think that was the problem since the rear light works fine without one, but it could be. Thanks.  P.M.

Hoople

Make sure the light is getting power- sometimes the wire contacts don't hold that well. My 4-8-2 has the same problem but I know I screwed up on re soldering plugs...
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!