News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What Turntable to use...

Started by FECfan, November 09, 2009, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FECfan

Ok, I'm completely rebuilding my layout (ugh, what a task) and I haven't a clue what turntable to buy (I know about the walthers turntables, nobody has $300 to spend in my generation) and I've given up and I'm hoping to save (approx. $200) and I want a turntable thats at least 120 feet, now, I have looked at diamond scale, it seem promising, but... I have a feeling that with my patience it will not go well.  Now I did check this site out: http://www.custommodelrailroads.com/ but I don't know any background on their turntables, and I'm never in a mood for scale structures (scratchbuilding anything is beyond my patience, even just the pit) now, is there anyone that I can rely on? (again, I CANNOT afford the Walthers turntable)

Mouse

Have you looked on eBay? You might find a good deal on even a Walthers unit.

glsummers

Mouse is right. Check on Ebay; I got the Walthers turntable and did not pay near that amount. I got one just a little over a $100. Their turntable is awesome and works like a charm; but take your time programming each stop. Larry

lmackattack

I have heard lots of good things with the walthers turntables. they are indexed so that operation is very smooth and simple. we have one at the club and it is said to work flawless.

FECfan

I have than one in the back of my head, I just want a second option if one for a good price isnt possible

ABC

Helijan makes a 98' turntable, it is about $40. Scale Structures makes two different lengths 110' or 130' they are $75 and $85 respectively. Peco makes a code 75 turntable. Kibri makes one that sells for $20 pre-built. Or you can modify an Atlas 90' Turntable that runs only about $20.

ebtbob

If you go to Ebay,   look under Wilson turntable.    They turn up occassionally.   They have a metal pit with plastic table and will hold my son's N&W Class A 2-6-6-4......barely.  They were made in the '60s out in Cleveland,  Ohio.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

FECfan

again, minimum of 120 scale feet, and I am never in a mood for a major modification (or scratch built), read the original post to understand what i mean

ABC

So you want a pre-built turntable that is 120 feet. That leaves but one option... the Walthers 120' turntable. You can't afford to spend a lot of money. That leaves you with no options, unless you can steal a Walthers one for under $100. The problem is that not many companies have 120' or greater turntables let alone pre-built ones.

FECfan

im fine with construing one, I just dont want to have to scratch build (or it be a huge hassle to have running great)

ebtbob

The Wilson table I mentioned is 116 ft,  is that close enough?

Go to Ebay,  under toys and hobbies group,  type in Wilson Turntable.   One there for $49.99,  no bids,  little over a day to go,  seller 100% rating
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

rich1998

a club i belong to put in the 120 foot tt and it is not plug and play. a lot of fine tuning was necessary. do not want to discourage you but you will most probably have to do some work to get everything correct. i have seen this with tt installations over the years. careful planning will go a long way.

lex

FECfan

the wilsons is 109 feet, i think im gonna keep it in mind, im going to wait to order a turntable until my b-day in june

ebtbob

I just measured my Wilson table.   The bridge is 14.5 inches long which measures out to 116 ft.    14.5x8=116
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

FECfan

ok, final decision, the 134ft diamond scale turntable, anything i should know that may change my mind?