News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What Turntable to use...

Started by FECfan, November 09, 2009, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

FEC,

I have a smaller Diamond Scale tt that I got from a friend who built it.  As I look at it,  it seems to me that putting the rail around the pit wall and assembly of the all metal "arbor" that goes over the track on the tt bridge may be the hardest parts.   Other than that,  the rest of the bridge is bass wood and should be together fairly easy.   Hope all goes well as these tt are fine looking models.  Good luck.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Doneldon

Why not use one of the newer Atlas 15 degree turntables (yes, only 9") with the Atlas table in the floor of your pit and a 120' tables built above it?  You'll have a reliable unit, low price and excellent indexing.

ABC

Quote from: Doneldon on November 24, 2009, 05:01:54 AM
Why not use one of the newer Atlas 15 degree turntables (yes, only 9") with the Atlas table in the floor of your pit and a 120' tables built above it?  You'll have a reliable unit, low price and excellent indexing.
If you didn't notice, I already suggested this to him, and he said it would be to much trouble/work for him. Maybe if you read what was already posted....

rogertra

I use the Walthers ready built 90ft turntable.  Self indexing, works everytime, best turntable I've ever owned.  It works with the heavy 4-8-2, with modified tender, so the 90 foot is just perfect for my GER.  I gather that the 120ft turntable is just as reliable for all of you who suffer from "turntable envy".  :)

SteamGene

The current Walthers 120' turntable is as close to plug and play as one can get.  It does need programming,  sure, but the instructions are clear and precise. 
Check eBay often.  I paid nowhere near MSRP for mine. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

hotrainlover

I can only find a 90", and a 130' one while searching...  Where did you get the 120' one, Gene?

Jhanecker2

Walthers makes a 120 ft. & a 90 ft fully built turntable , they are both prices at $300 and are reported to be exceptionally well made & programmable . John II

SteamGene

I either bought it on eBay or on sale through Walthers.  In any event, I didn't pay $300 for it.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

Roger, the GER can get away with 4-8-2s as max power, but the VT&P climbs hills.  Those 2-6-6-2s and 2-6-6-6s are l o o o n g!  >:(
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jefft580

I am just getting back to model railroading and I was given Brand new EZ track,I was wondering is there any turntable out on the market that works with the ez track system

ABC

Any turntable will work fine with a bit of modification to the E-Z track. The bachmann Thomas the Tank Engine Turntable costs like $175 including a European roundhouse and requires no modification.

pdlethbridge

My brother just bought the Walthers 130" turntable ( it's 130 not 120) and paid a little over $200 for it. I'm going to his house today to finish installing it. It's a beautiful unit and well worth the price, but a word of caution, make sure you follow the directions about keeping everything clean and dust free or you will have operating problems.