News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

LS Thomas in Europe?

Started by tac, November 07, 2009, 02:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tac

Dear Bach Man - there is a good deal of discussion taking place on another LS site about the possibility of the new and long-awaited LS Thomas models going on sale in UK - one poster remarks that they are already fully compliant with Australian electrical standards, for instance.

My current understanding is that they will not be sold as sets in Europe for reasons of non-compliance with EU electrical equipment regulations - the controllers do not comply.

There is absolutely no mention of any Thomas products in LS on either Bachmann UK or Bachmann EU sites.

I need a real Bachmann company response to this question, preferably from Mr Bucksco, not a  'best guestimation' from a well-meaning poster.

What is your take on this matter, please?

Graders

tac
www.ovgrs.org

the Bach-man

Dear TAC,
Where Thomas lines are sold is mainly a function of license. I'll see what I can find out.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

tac

I understand the business about licences, but that applies, or would SEEM to apply, only where there are similar products.  The 00 scale Hornby and H0 scale Bachmann Thomas products fit into this category.

However, apart from Lionel - also not imported directly into the EU - there are no large-scale Thomas models that do not need to be pushed, pedallled or floated, IOW, there is no LS Thomas model scene here in the EU.

There is, therefore, no competition for sales, since Bachmann clearly has the monopoly in the manufacture of LS Thomas items.

If, however, this is a decision that is based on sales forecasts, rather than a licensing matter, then it must surely rank as one of the worst boardroom decisions ever made by a toy train maker.  As I noted on another forum, Thomas is HUGE here in the UK, and also in much of the rest of the EU.  It's no use pretending that we are not here - there are about 75,000,000 prospective customers under the age of 18 in the EU - even taking into account other interests, and dividing that by 1000, you are left with HUGE potential sales.

Anyhow, right now I'm awaiting a response from Mr Lynch, so you can go and play trains while he cogitates  ;)

tac
www.ovgrs.org

tac

Mornin', All - especially those of you here in UK with either kids or grand-kids who are fans of 'Thomas and Friends'.

After some severe digging, I managed to talk to a Bachmann Europe representative in Hinckley who advised me that large-scale thomas products would be on sale here in UK some time next year, according to his scuttlebutt.

Missing out on the upcoming Christmas sales storm seems to have been taken on board in a somewhat rueful manner.

So it's a matter of wait and see.....

There ya go...

tac
www.ovgrs.org