News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC

Started by Cody J, November 10, 2009, 01:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jestor

If you go to the EZ Command link to the left, you can see PDF's of the EZ Command instructions, the decoder PDF is there too. Print them out and read them over. Many of your questions will be answered and you'll have a leg up. Any Bachmann product will (should) say in the product description whether it is DCC Ready or DCC On Board (equipped). You should not need to take the loco apart to find this out. The Product section(also to the left) has this info along with the product number(s).

Cody J

Quote from: ABC on November 12, 2009, 03:32:52 PM
You know the terminal tracks with a spot for the wires, either put those about every 10 feet or solder your wires to the tracks every 10 feet. This is good for larger layout, so the power is steady at all parts of the layout and your loco does not slow down or stop far away from the power source (terminal). Coiling the wires is also supposed to help the power be the same throughout.

I only have a 9x5 layout. Will I need to do this?

cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

jward

something i've never seen fully explained about ez command....

we know it will allow 1 person to control up to 10 locomotives. can you connect another ez command to it, as a slave unit, so that two people can run trains simultaneously? if so, how many slave units can be controlled? 3? 5? 10?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ABC

Quote from: jward on November 16, 2009, 09:53:16 PM
can you connect another ez command to it, as a slave unit, so that two people can run trains simultaneously? if so, how many slave units can be controlled? 3? 5? 10?
E-Z Command® Walk-Around Companion (with Connector Wires)
Item No. 44907
    * Control multiple trains from convenient locations around your layout or coordinate independent operations between a primary and a secondary user.
    * Plug-and-play connection to E-Z Command® Control Center
    * Duplicates all locomotive addresses set on E-Z Command® Control Center
    * Simultaneous throttle control of several locomotives
You cannot hook up to standard E-Z Command Systems, but you can attach at least 5 Walk Around Companions to the Master Command Station, but they won't provide any additional "juice" to let you run more than 4 trains without a booster.

Doneldon

The reason for the multiple track feeds is that nickel silver rail is a poor electrical conductor compared to copper wire.  Copper is even better than brass.  Using copper wire of a robust guage with short feeders will minimize voltage drops and keep the voltage similar all over the layout.  Twisting the bus (i.e., under layout) wires won't do anything to maintain the voltage; wires are twisted to reduce electrical signal interference between the wires.  This isn't an issue with DC but it can be an issue in DCC if you have very long runs.

I just built a DC HO layout for my grandson and I used lots of short feeders connected to 16 ga buses under the table.  I'm hoping that this will help his layout operate longer with minimal maintenance since he lives 100 miles away and isn't old enough yet, at nine, to diagnose and repair/maintain operational problems.

I used the Bachmann EZ system and I'm confident he will find that more then adequate for his needs.  I may have to add the booster if he needs more power for locos with sound.