News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC

Started by Cody J, November 10, 2009, 01:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

I am planning on upgrading to DCC using Bachmann EZ-Command (I think that is what it's called) But I know nothing about DCC. Does anyone know of any web sites or books that I might be able to find? Or any info on here would be helpful.

thanks,
Cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Nathan

There are many good sites.  You may want to look at:

http://tonysdcc.com/tonystips/dccprimer/index.htm

phillyreading

While you are discussing DCC, is there any way to tell if you have a DCC equipped engine? That is other then opening up the unit?
If I don't have a DCC equipped engine I won't buy the DCC power unit or what-ever it is that is needed for DCC.

Lee F.

Jim Banner

If you don't take your locomotive apart once in a while to clean and lubricate it, I assume you have the local hobby shop or someone else do it.  Next time you are having it serviced, ask them.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Cody J

Thanks for the info. But a couple more questions:
Does Bachmann ez-command have locomotive lighting. I don't care about sound.
What is the difference between DCC equipped and DCC Ready?
If I buy a DCC loco will I have to buy a decoder?
How do I program these locomotives? From looking at the pictures of the Bachmann one it has 9 addresses, the tenth one being for analog. And I'm assuming that once you have your locomotives programmed you press the button of the loco address then you use the throttle and control the speed (and possibly lighting) correct?

Also, my layout isn't very big so I won't need or use more than that. Is the Bachmann system the easiest to use? I will only be using Bachmann engines.

thanks,
cody

ABC

The Bachmann E-Z Command system can turn the lighting on or off or dim the lighting, in addition it can control 9 other functions including smoke machines and sound. It can also reprogram the direction to be considered forward and the loco's address between 0-9. The E-Z Command only set me back about $40 bucks it is the simplest/easiest to use out of all the systems. It can run up to 3 or 4 dcc locos at one time (analog locos bog it down and limit the amount of locos you can run to 1 or 2 depending on how old they are/the motor they have.

Jim Banner

QuoteDoes Bachmann ez-command have locomotive lighting. I don't care about sound.
E-Z Command can turn the lights on and off if the locomotive has lights wired to its decoder.  It can also control the sounds, if the locomotive has a sound decoder.

QuoteWhat is the difference between DCC equipped and DCC Ready?
DCC equipped means the locomotive has a decoder inside it.
DCC Ready means the locomotive has been wired in such a way that it is easy to install a decoder.  This may be a socket to plug a decoder into or it may be the wiring has been made easy to modify.

QuoteIf I buy a DCC loco will I have to buy a decoder?
For a DCC equipped locomotive (also called DCC on board, no.
For a DCC ready locomotive, yes.

QuoteHow do I program these locomotives?
You can program the address and which end of the locomotive you want to be the forward end using E-Z Command.  To program all the things that decoders can do, you would need a more advanced command station.  Fortunately, for simple operation on a small layout, all the other things are optional.  The actual programming is covered in the manual and on the DVD.  Programming is best learned with the controller in one hand and the manual in the other.

QuoteFrom looking at the pictures of the Bachmann one it has 9 addresses, the tenth one being for analog.
That is correct.  By using a particular Bachmann dc controller, you can use all 10 E-Z Command addresses for locomotives and use the dc controller to run an analogue locomotive.

QuoteAnd I'm assuming that once you have your locomotives programmed you press the button of the loco address then you use the throttle and control the speed (and possibly lighting) correct?
Correct.  This feature makes E-Z Command the easiest system to use when you have one person controlling many locomotives.

QuoteAlso, my layout isn't very big so I won't need or use more than that. Is the Bachmann system the easiest to use? I will only be using Bachmann engines.
It is the easiest to learn and use on Bachmann locomotives or any other DCC equipped locomotives.  It has enough power to run two or three trains at one time, which is generally all there is room for on a small layout.  If your layout grows, the E-Z Command can grow with it.  Adding a booster will let you run up to 10 trains all at once, if your layout gets big enough to handle that many at once.

If I may add my personal opinion, the E-Z Command gives you a lot of bang for the buck.  It won't do everything but it does the basics and allows you to get going in DCC quickly and easily at an affordable price.  There are systems that do more but they also cost more or even a lot more, and they take much more time to learn to operate.

I started off in DCC with a different basic system, MRC's Command 2000.  I was quite happy with it and would probably be using it still except that MRC quit supporting it, then could not repair it when it broke down.  But if E-Z Command had been around when I bought my basic system, the advantages of E-Z Command would have won hands down.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Cody J

Thanks for all the help.

I was shopping for track and I need 8 turnouts. I came across an EZ Command turnout and a remote turnout. I know what the remote turnout is because I used to use them. But,
What is the EZ Command turnout?
How does it work?
Is it easy to use with EZ Command?
Any special wiring needed?

Thanks,
cody

CNE Runner

This is a website to which I refer frequently:

Trust me, the author explains things in a manner that even I can understand and follow. Also do a 'Google' for Loy's Toys as he maintained a good website explaining various DCC topics (most valuable of which was his explanations on wiring Peco Electrofrog components).

Best wishes,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Cody J

I think that I am going to use the regular remote turnouts considering that they are 13 dollars cheaper than the DCC ones. I'm going to connect them to my old DC powerpack which will not be connected to the track at all. It will be plugged into the wall and the switches will be plugged into the Accessory outlet on it.

cody

tford

I have recently installed the Bachmann E-Z command on my layout. Works great and was easy to get used to. I used all e-z track, about 60' in all, on my layout. When I first got started thinking about DCC I posted several guestions on this form and got excellent help and tips. Depending on the size of your layout make sure you install a power feed about every 10' of track. this will keep a steady signal to your engines. When I first installed my e-z command I simply plugged it into one of the terminal tracks; the 3 trains I was running would run fine but occasionally 2 of them would stop; I could tap on the track and everything would start working again. Once I installed feeder lines around the track connected them all to a twisted buss line this stoppin thing and tappin thing all went away. Have fun, good luck and don't ever think you can ask a stupid question on this form; some of mine have been and will be real stupid.

oh by the way I purchased the Bachmann train set that comes with two engines and the e-z command. Got this on eBay for half what my locale hobby town USA store wanted.

Cody J

Quote from: tford on November 11, 2009, 09:16:01 PM
Depending on the size of your layout make sure you install a power feed about every 10' of track. this will keep a steady signal to your engines. When I first installed my e-z command I simply plugged it into one of the terminal tracks; the 3 trains I was running would run fine but occasionally 2 of them would stop; I could tap on the track and everything would start working again. Once I installed feeder lines around the track connected them all to a twisted buss line this stoppin thing and tappin thing all went away.

I don't understand this feeder lines and installing a power feed about every 10 feet.

thanks,
cody

ABC

Quote from: trainsrock on November 12, 2009, 02:41:10 PM
I don't understand this feeder lines and installing a power feed about every 10 feet.
You know the terminal tracks with a spot for the wires, either put those about every 10 feet or solder your wires to the tracks every 10 feet. This is good for larger layout, so the power is steady at all parts of the layout and your loco does not slow down or stop far away from the power source (terminal). Coiling the wires is also supposed to help the power be the same throughout.

tford

Cody, if you will go back to my other posts; maybe around page 6; you will see some great info from Jim Banner to me about twisted buss.

kevin2083

EZ command is a great starter system. Very easy to use, simple wiring, and (my favorite) not very expensive. I used it for a few years until my layout was too big for it.

The hardest part was installing decoders in older locos that weren't DCC ready. But, you can get quite a few with decoders already instaled.

You'll probably never want to go back to analog DC.

Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||