News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EBT's 2-8-0 and 4-6-0s

Started by bob kaplan, April 15, 2007, 10:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

i know that EBT is known for her beautiful 2-8-2's.  But i also understand that there were 2-8-0 and 4-6-0s in her history as well.   Could someone tell me where i might find pictures of these engines.   i have never seen any.
  thanks.
bob

RAM

Try doing a search on EBT,s 2-8-0 and 4-6-0 on Google

Kevin Strong

Here's a link to EBT's #7, which was built to the D&RG's C-19 plans. It was the heaviest consolidation on the EBT.
http://www.raccooncrkrwy.com/ebt7a.jpg

The other 3 EBT consolidations were significantly lighter, built to the same plans as the D&RG's first 2-8-0, dubbed "Mosca." The "Mosca" was actually refused by the D&RG, then sold to the EBT, where she proved quite successful, hence the orders for two identical siblings. Essentially, this loco looked similar to the C-16 class 2-8-0s, but with 40" drivers that were evenly spaced.

The 4-6-0s are harder to describe without photos, but online photos seem to be non-existent. They all rode on 48" drivers, so they were fairly large locos.

You'll find photos of most of the EBT's locos in East Broad Top by Lee Rainey and Frank Kyper. It's out of print, but copies show up on ebay and on used bookstore lists fairly regularly.

Later,

K

bob kaplan

Thanks Kevin
   Having already done the search, i knew that little info would be found.  i was wondering what inspired the EBT to go from the little 2-8-0s to the pretty big 2-8-2 (even #12 appeared quite a bit bigger).

jayl1

EBT also has/had 2 standard gauge 0-6-0's.  One is still in the Mt. Union PA engine house & the other is (in pieces??) at the White Water Valley RR in Indiana.  #12 is the smellest 2-8-2.  I believe #14 and 15 are mid-sized and 16 & 17 are the heaviest.  If anyone has a chance to vist EBT, do it.  It's a trip back in time!!  Also there are trolleys to ride next door.

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: jayl1 on April 16, 2007, 08:47:30 PM
EBT also has/had 2 standard gauge 0-6-0's.  One is still in the Mt. Union PA engine house & the other is (in pieces??) at the White Water Valley RR in Indiana.  #12 is the smellest 2-8-2.  I believe #14 and 15 are mid-sized and 16 & 17 are the heaviest.  If anyone has a chance to vist EBT, do it.  It's a trip back in time!!  Also there are trolleys to ride next door.
Smellest ???
Ahhh' you meant smallest.....right?
Rocky Lives

Kevin Strong

Quote from: bob kaplan on April 16, 2007, 06:03:52 PM
...what inspired the EBT to go from the little 2-8-0s to the pretty big 2-8-2 (even #12 appeared quite a bit bigger).

It was really nothing more than a natural progression, and the need to move more and more coal off the mountain. The "new era" of motive power on the EBT began in 1908 with #11, which was a 2-6-2. This was the first loco to be able to outpull #7, and with its larger drivers was a bit more surefooted. When the EBT ordered their next new loco, they basically stretched #11 to accommodate an extra driver, ushering in the 2-8-2s.

Later,

K

bob kaplan

Very interesting Kevin.  i thought i remembered reading that the only 2-6-2's ever built for a narrow gauge RR were those of the 2 foot gauge found in Maine and some for foreign shores.  An American prototye 2-6-2.....maybe it could be an inspiration for a Large scale model?

ebtnut

I think you will find that there were a number of n.g. 2-6-2's out there.  There is one still in existence at the Pine Creek RR in New Jersey, ex-Surrey, Sussex and Southampton RR.  It was running a few years back, but I think it is currently in the shop.