Running one 12V DC locomotive on EZ-Command DCC layout

Started by TrainArts, November 13, 2009, 11:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainArts

Hi folks,

I tried searching previous posts, if this has already been addressed I didn't find it. If it was, I apologize in advance.

I have a EZ-Command DCC controller and am happy that in the past it will run four locomotives and three lighted cars at once. This seems to go beyond the ratings.

My question, I ordered a On30 12V Roaring Ridge set. I wonder if that locomotive will run on the #9 setting designed to run a 12V DC locomotive on a DCC layout.

Does anyone have experience with that specific locomotive or in general running a 12V DC locomotive on #9? I tried it once with a very old Athearn locomotive and it didn't work out well.

Thanks,

Jim Lohse

ABC

It is the #10 button, but the address is probably 09. In general do not use your E-Z command to run DC locomotives for extended periods of time, it may ruin your engine. And it will make a buzzing noise.

TrainArts

Wow, thanks for the fast response. Yeah, #10, not #9, my bad.

I appreciate the clarification, I will build a separate track for the new set. Hopefully this is seen as a constructive suggestion, perhaps the User Manual for EZ-Command could be updated so it doesn't suggest running a 12V DC locomotive. Granted, it already says not to leave one stationary for extended periods.

Thanks again.

Jim Banner

The danger with running a dc locomotive on a DCC track is heat.  Poor running and noise do not cause damage to the locomotive.  Heat can.

When your dc locomotive is running on on DCC, it produces more heat than when it is not running.  However, the spinning motor moves air, giving the motor forced air cooling.  This is usually enough to keep the motor from overheating.

When your dc locomotive is stopped on a track fed by DCC, it is still receiving power and still heating up.  But the motor is NOT spinning, so does NOT have forced air cooling.  If the motor is going to be damaged by heat, it will usually happen when the locomotive is sitting still on a DCC powered track.

If you have your dc locomotive on a DCC track, running or not, keep an eye on temperature.  Or should I say, keep a finger on the temperature.  Feel the outside of the locomotive every five minutes or so.  A bit warm is okay.   Very warm is not.  Too hot to handle and the plastic starting to soften is probably too late.  Smoke coming out is deffinitely too late.  After a while, you will get a feeling for how long you can leave your locomotive sitting still and whether or not you are running it with too heavy a load.

Your 0n30 Roaring Ridge set is a larger scale than your H0 trains and for that reason you might want to run it on a different track, particularly if you have scale buildings and bridges on your H0.  But if you want to run them together, consider adding a decoder to your 2-6-0 locomotive or having one added.

As far as your Athearn locomotive is concerned, you could set up the track and power pack that came with your Roaring Ridge set and use it to run your Athearn on dc.  That would be a quick check on whether the poor running on DCC was a result of a problem with the locomotive or just the just the loss of performance you get running a dc locomotive on DCC.  Some of the Athearn diesels are about as easy as it gets to add a decoder to a locomotive that is not DCC ready.  This might be a good project for learning more about DCC and decoders.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

can't say for sure about ez command, but my digitrax zephyr has address 00 reserved for dc (analog) locomotives. maybe that is what the 10 on the ez command actually corresponds to.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

Jeffery is right on the money.  I don't know why Bachmann calls it 10 instead of zero.  Maybe they thought it might be confusing to have numbers 0 through 9 instead of 1 through 10.  I suppose if it was bothersome, you could paint out the one.  Then your E-Z Command would be numbered just like a telephone key pad or a Digitrax throttle or like the number keys on your keyboard, all of which are
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  0
I don't know why this is the normal arrangement instead of having the zero first.  But then I have never figured out why the ace is high in poker, either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Johnny's teacher walked up to the blackboard and wrote "|" on it.  "That is number one." she said.  "Does anybody know what comes next?"
Johnny waived his hand like crazy until the teacher finally picked him.   "I know the numbers," he said, "two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king, ace."  The teacher sat down at her desk and cried.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Counting is what you make of it

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

TrainArts

Thanks for everyone's comments, I especially liked Jim Banner's joke about counting.

Where I grew up in Silicon Valley we counted 1,2,3 ... 9, A, B, C, D, E, F, 0