News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need Advice on Brass Locos

Started by jonathan, November 14, 2009, 06:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdmike

How well they will run depends on what brand they are.  My early 60's vintage PFM/United's still have thier original Pittman open frame motors and run almost as quiet as a modern day can motor.  I run straight DC and never will change to DCC, so that point is moot.   Brass can be weighted and tuned to run better than any plastic engine on the market today.   Dont believe me, ask some of the top modelers out there that run lots of steam.   Most all run beautifull brass engines.   New brass is still more detailed than anything else, but has the price to go with that.   New brass is more museum/display case trains for those with very deep pockets.  Older PFM/United/Tenshodo, Westside, Hallmark, Akane brass normaly run well with only a proper tune up consisting of a good cleaning to remove the ancient lubrication that is usualy stiff and dried/turned to varnish, then a relube.   I also hardwire the tender trucks to the frame instead of relying on the bolster screw/spring for power transmission.   My Shay has 8 wheel pickup.   I have a PFM/United NKP Berkshire, PFM/United USRA Light Mikado, PFM/United 3 truck 150 ton shay and 2 PFM/United Southern RR PS4 Pacifics.    Cheers   Mike