Parts for Life-Like Chessie Diesel Engine

Started by rhandy, November 15, 2009, 12:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhandy

I have a Chessie Diesel F Unit  The joiner on the Motor Shaft broke. Does anyone know
Where I can get another, or am I stuck.

ABC

Its a cheap engine, you get what you pay for. You can buy one new on eBay for $15, the shipping for Walthers (the company that owns Life-Like) charges a minimum of $8.95 for shipping and handling, plus a couple bucks for the part if they even have it, you would be better off just buying a new one. Just out of curiosity, how old is your loco? Is it from the 80's, early 90's, late 90's, or 00's?

pdlethbridge

I just rebuilt a couple of life like BL-2's. They both had athearn parts and were easy to fix.

ABC

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380168556813&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D380168556813%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
(Fixed Link)
Is this your loco?  Also, your unit must be from before the late 1990's because Walthers has no record of it under the search for Life-Like, Proto 1000/Proto 2000 (Walthers Proto). I think you unit is probably from the early 90's or late 80's. I do not think the older life-like units can use Athearn parts.

jward

if i am not mistaken, the life like f7 was a train set quality locomotive. it wasn't a proto 2000 or 1000 offering like the f3. as such, athearn parts won't work in it. best bet is to write to walthersto see if they have aprts for it. or buy another f7. if you do buy another locomotive, it might be wise to buy something a little better made, like an athearn f7. there is the possibility of using the chessie body on another f7, or removing the drive shafts and worm gears and making it a non powered locomotive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ABC

Quote from: jward on November 15, 2009, 04:27:41 PM
if i am not mistaken, the life like f7 was a train set quality locomotive. it wasn't a proto 2000 or 1000 offering like the f3. as such, athearn parts won't work in it.
Precisely, all the F7s that life-like makes currently are those $20 locos that frankly aren't made to last very long and don't run too well while they last. I checked, and as it turns out Proto has never made a Chessie System F7. And the last time Life-Like released one was 1994. And I took the liberty to call up Walthers for you and they said that they were sorry that no parts are available at this time for that version of the F7A, and that you're best bet would be to purchase another locomotive. You could however purchase just the whole undercarriage without a shell, but that wouldn't do much good because it would run you over $30.00.

As a side note, those Proto 1000 F3s are not bad locos.

Jim Banner

ABC,
Your links to eBay do not seem to be working today.  Perhaps using the full url will give better results.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380168556813&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D380168556813%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Incidentally, the locomotive shown is a really old one, brass wheels and all. 

rhandy,
Jeffery's idea is a good one.  With a similar Chessie locomotive, and making the one you have a dummy, you could run them back to back on the front of a train.  Almost like getting two for the price of one.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Quote from: Jim Banner on November 15, 2009, 04:43:43 PM
ABC,
Your links to eBay do not seem to be working today.  Perhaps using the full url will give better results.
I wonder what the deal is, my links were to the enlarged images, I wonder why that would cause a problem????
Your link was to the actual item whereas mine was just for the enlarged photograph.

Jim Banner

I am not all that sure what is going on with eBay links but I suspect that what you got was a java script link to something on their website, or on the same computer as their website whereas the image command on this site is expecting an html link to an image on another web site.  Or something like that.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.