Bachmann K-4; Locking a stand

Started by Woody Elmore, November 17, 2009, 09:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

In the HO discussion area there was a person asking questions about a Bachmann K-4. I guess the responses weren't to his liking so, in what must have been a fit of pique, he "locked" the strand.  I had a comment to add but this person closed discussion. I assume there was too much to read and absorb.

I had no idea that individuals could do this. I think that only the administrator, the one and only Bach-man, should have that authority.

What say you?

NWsteam

I disagree with you. If you read the thread carefully the question the man asked is not being answered at all (Except once by Stephen). Instead others are using his thread as a place to discuss their opinions on traction tires. At first this was somewhat related to his post about the K4 and its pulling power. As the discussion continued it got way off course and got a little heated. I feel the original poster has every right to lock the topic and he still didn't get the answer he was looking for. I understand the view that threads can morph over time and this can bring up a wealth of information. Yet I still stand with my first statement. I think he was just looking for multiple opinions of the K4 by people who have owned them.

-Brad

Some times all someone is looking for is the answer to their question. That thread would have been no help to me. As far as locking a topic I don't know. Personally I would just ignore it and let the posters carry on their off topic debate.

Robertj668

Woody
I have a K4 I am curious on what you were going to add.  Was it the post of the engine Jumping the switches or not running well. I still need to fine tune my K4.
Robert

Robertj668

I just found the article.  Sorry it was locked too.
It was only out a few days.  I love helping people out if I can!
Robert

Pacific Northern

In my opinion locking a thread is warranted at times.

All too often a specific question is asked, such as the K-4 question and members who did not have a K-4 were posting their opinion. The question was specifically addressed to those with the K-4 to please respond, others need not (being polite) bother.

Yes, it was time to lock the thread.

Pacific Northern

Woody Elmore

I was going to comment on how my friend who has three Bachmann K-4s, had problems with one derailing and how he fixed it. However,  the link was closed so I guess the guy wasn't interested in anything I may have to say.

Robertj668

Woody
I would love the advice if can post here.
Robert

Woody Elmore

The one K-4 jumped the switches - one in particular. My friend took off the front truck, looked for burrs and other things that might be causing a snag. He also checked the wheel gauge. He reassembled the front truck and had no more problems.

My buddy has handlaid track as well as Shinohara code 83. I believe he had the problem on one particular Shinohara #6 turnout.

He has several other K-4s by different manufacturers and finds the Bachmann engines to be good performers but not great pullers. His Bowser K-4  is a great puller but cannot compare, detail wise, to the Bachmann engines.

What annoyed me was that a lot of good general advice was offered but the poster was interested only in things to remedy his K-4 problem. Kind of narrow minded if you ask me.

Incidentally, I read in an old Trains magazine from 1944 about a Pennsy troop train, containing both healthy soldiers and wounded. The train had 20 cars. At the front were two K-4 engines and a third was cut into the middle. Communication was with the whistle of the lead engine! If you have the space and rolling stock, this could be duplicated with DCC. The Pennsy had a 95% on time record during the war.!!

NarrowMinded

For the life of me I can't understand why people get offended or upset here over Model train opinions. Maybe I am just being NarrowMinded... Wait I AM!

NM