News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Ready on DC-controled layout

Started by Bullwinkle3D, November 17, 2009, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullwinkle3D

I have a couple of newbie questions:

The instruction manual for E-Z Command says that DCC ready trains will run on a DC-controlled layout as long as one doesn't use a feedback type DC controller.  Is Bachmann's Large Scale Power Pack and Speed Controller a feedback type DC controller?  Bachmann's web page says that the Large Scale Power Pack and Speed Controller is not "DCC compatible," but I don't know exactly what this means.

Also, how many feet of Bachmann track can be reasonably powered with the Large Scale Power Pack and Speed Controller?

Peter O

What locomotive are you thinking about? The only Large Scale Bachmann locomotive with a decoder pre-installed (and therefore DCC equiped) is one particular version of the three truck Shay. The other lcomotives which are DCC ready will work with any DC power pack that can supply 18-24 volts and 2+ amps.

Peter.

Bullwinkle3D

Thanks for you help!  I was thinking of something along the lines of the 1:20.3 Scale 2-6-0 Mogul.

Peter O

The Centennial Mogul will run fine on DC. You will need to remove the pins that Bachmann installed to supposedly help it track better. This is very easy, but if you don't do it they tend to foul any switches you may have on your layout.

Peter.

NarrowMinded

DCC ready basically means it is a DC unit with plugs and mounts pre-installed to make the installation of DCC components simple.

NM