HO Track Measuring Guage, Continued Turnout Derailments

Started by BradKT, November 19, 2009, 03:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

Can you show a picture or diagram of your layout?

This would be to look for "S" curves, which are notorious for causing derailments. 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jdmike

When I run my steam engines at the local hobby shop, thier layout has the nickle silver Ez track with two crossovers that put the point end of the turnouts right after  you  come out of the curved portion of the layout, every steam engine with a 2 wheel pilot truck will have that truck pick the point rail where it meets running rail.  This is due to the square end of the point rail and the fact the running rail isnt notched to allow the pint rail to fit flush into it.  You can either file the tip of the point rail at a 45' angle, or notch the running rail which is much harder to do without damaging the ties or roadbed.   A redesign is really needed from Bachmann on thier turnouts.   Even thier own NKP Berkshire's will pick the points and derail.   Sometimes even rolling stock will pick the points.    I have never had problems with the frogs.   Yes all the wheelsets are in gauge  and the turnout is in gauge as measured with a NMRA gauge.   Mike

BradKT

Robert:

I saw the pics.  This fix on the turnouts looks easy...and it is so logical and it looks so simple! 

I am confident that it will solve my derailment problem 

Thank you.

ebtbob

Brad,  and others,

Glad I could be of some help.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

USNavyChiefRet

I have a problem with one left hand turnout on my ON30 layout. It is a Bachmann DCC turnout #44130 (18" radius left turnout). The problem I have is with the Bachmann 2-6-6-2 loco I just received. I love the loco but it hates this turnout. If I try to run it straight through, when the loco turns left and goes down around the curve I have set up there it is fine. I have run the loco very slow through the turnout (going straight) and the loco's front two wheels seem to pass through o.k. but when the front truck hits it the wheels seem to ride up and to the left and the derailment occurs. I can run the 4-4-0 American I have through it fine, no problems, it's just when I try to run the 2-6-6-2 straight through the turnout rather than turning to the left that the derailment occurs. I'm at a loss. I have run a Code 100 rail gauge over the rails and it looks to me like the rails going into the turnout (these are straight rails) are not in gauge (very tight if at all in gauge), yet the 4-4-0 runs fine straight and switching left. Anyone have any ideas?

jward

if the guage is tight, then you are out of guage. you need to find a way to widen the guage at that point. on roadbed type track this would be more of a problem. with regular track you can remove the molded spikes at the narrow part, and shift the rail over and spike it in guage. but with the plastic roadbed, your spikes probably won't hold well enough to keep it in position. maybe you could make some sort of guage bar out of styrene?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA