News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sorry, newbie question

Started by niknok, November 22, 2009, 08:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niknok

Hi,

I just got my first HO DCC train.  I did the assembly and it runs just fine (with sound and all).  My problem is, the loco is connected to the tender by just the wires (of speakers?).  I can see a strip of metal with two holes from the loco, and something like a stud on the tender.  What is the right way of connecting the two together?

dennis=)

ABC

Put the so called "stud" through either one of the two holes depending on the distance you want in between the two. If you neglect to do this, it may adversely affect your wires and cause a problem.

Joe Satnik

Dear NN,

The strip of metal is called a "drawbar". 

Choose one of the holes to go over the stud on the tender. 

The hole that gives you closer coupling between the engine and tender is for wider radius curves. 

The hole that gives you longer coupling is for shorter radius curves.

If you are having derailing problems on your curves or switches with the closer coupling, try changing to the longer coupling.

Do your best not to put strain on the wires. 

You can significantly reduce the strain on the wires by putting a small chunk of plastic tubing (with slightly smaller inside diameter than the tender stud's outside diameter) over the stud to keep the drawbar from disconnecting from the tender.     

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

niknok

Thank you Joe/ABC.

Does it have some sort of a lock?  I did put the stud into one of the holes, but it keeps on falling off.

dennis=)

lmackattack

no locks dennis. if it keeps coming uncoupled just bend the draw bar a little to hold the center of the stud better

niknok

Thanks! .. will try that =)

dennis=)