News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Identify this locomotive.

Started by kokoracer, November 25, 2009, 09:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokoracer

I was given a Bachmann F unit.  Looks like a cheapie since the motor is a small one over the rear wheel set.  The body is decorated in the Santa Fe warbonnet design.  and is unit 307.  On the chasis there is a number 30918.  The unit runs (Barely) and needs a few trim parts.  If I can fix it cheaply I will use it as an extra for fan trips.  Otherwise it goes into the junk pile, since I model New England roads in the PC Conrail transistion.

ALCOS4EVER

I sounds like one of the older base level Bachmanns. It's probably worth about ten dollars. If it has sentimental value or you want practice repair or detailing great, otherwise it's probably not worth putting much time into.

ABC

Quote from: ALCOS4EVER on November 25, 2009, 09:30:58 PMIt's probably worth about ten dollars.
I wouldn't say so, it is more than likely that it would fetch no more than $5. And it is a standard line Bachmann loco that is pretty outdated.

FECfan

its not worth it, i turned two of these into dummies, they run much better now  ;D

jbsmith

sounds like an older version of this one, an F-9

http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/PROD/160-61502

#307 was the main clue

pdlethbridge

I see they list that engine as a choke hazard ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BestSnowman

Its probably not worth it as a powered locomotive. It might make a decent decent dummy though. If its not all wheel drive/pickup I would say its probably not going to be a good performer.

I have a later F9 (UP 1206) that is still a bit cheap feeling but it has eight wheel drive and pickup and with enough tweaking I expect I can get this running as a decent locomotive (I have to get it running, its my son's favorite and since it derailed and went off the layout all the way to the floor its needed some tinkering).
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

kokoracer

Thanks for the help guys.  Into the scrap pile for this one.  Not worth the effort, since i have plenty of power on hand.

Santa Fe buff

Best Snowman has my engine. Look at his avatar.

His UP F9, is the same one I have. Yeah, these are out-dated by new tooling. I have two UP F9As, one is old, one is new.

Guess which one runs?

Hehe,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

BestSnowman

"Best Snowman has my engine. Look at his avatar."

Its actually the first locomotive I bought (and my first locomotive if you exclude the ones I played with as a kid that are mostly long gone now) though its literally only a shell of its former self.

The F9 originally came out of a Bachmann Challenger trainset (a newer version of this: http://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Challenger-Train-Union-Pacific/dp/B00000IS5V). However since I have gone DCC and the original workings of the F9 have gone a bit wonky it is the plastic bits applied to a Bachmann DCC Equiped FT-A (from this set to be specific http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1532).

The old F9 frame and FT-A plastic parts are partially reassembled and on a flat car destined for the scrap yard currently being pulled by the rejuvinated F9.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog