News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ command burned 50 ton Climax

Started by tiz, November 27, 2009, 09:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiz

Hello to Mr. Bach-Man and all members!

I have  a collection of  Bachmann Spectrum locos and I think they are very nice products. Specially I take care about products not in production as 50 Ton Climax is ( Ho scale). During my gears check on that, for me, very important loco ( I have two shays and Heisler for logging) I put the engine on my test track, connected to Bachmann EZ- Command. I was lazy to connect DC power pack just for few seconds of gear check. EZ- Command instruction says that you can use address 10 for DC use. I found that DC locos are not too happy to be there. Noise is coming from the motors and lights ( or leds) are always ON. Loco was in perfect condition before I switched power and tried to move the engine. It moved for some short time and died. Just Leds ON! It was too much for tiny motor inside and it burned. In panic, I disassembled  more then enough of a bit complicated mechanism and found that motor is dead.
Bad part is that loco is not in production anymore and I am desperate to find one for my geared Steam collection. If some members have it for sale, please contact me, even if it is with broken gears or something else ( at least motor to be OK :-)
I contacted service department if they can find the motor replacement ( it is very small 10mm x 15mm, shaft 1mm dia).
This is warning for other members to be careful with DC use of EZ Command, I haven't found problems with bigger engines, but small tiny motors can be in danger).
I would ask Mr. Bachmann or other members if they can advice for the motor type ( maybe some motor from current production can be replacement?).

Thank you all and again, if somebody wants to sell new or used 50 Ton Climax loco, please contact me.

Zdenko

NWsteam

I agree spectrum locomotives are fantastic.

Here is what went wrong. Even though EZ Command says you can operate one DC locomotive with it...in reality it is a terrible idea. DC locos just can't handle the DCC. I put a DC loco on the rails with my EZ Commander and after running for less than a minute, I could smell it burning. I have only tried one other time and it is not good!

In the future pay the $20 for a decoder and then you don't have to worry about it. I think if you search the forum, there was a topic on decoder installation on the Climax.

As for the motor...try searching online. I saw some HO motors on eBay the other day. Maybe other members can point you in the right direction here.

Good Luck,
Brad

tiz

Thank you Brad!

I have at least 5 new DCC decoders ready to be installed, about half of my locomotives are DCC. Small Climax was just about to be installed ( one of the easiest). Motor is really specific size and not a common one.
I hope somebody who wishes to sell Climax will make contact.

Best Wishes to all and happy model-railroading!

Zdenko 

Jim Banner

If you cannot find an original Bachmann replacement motor, try North West Short Line.  They have motors in a broad range of sizes and may have one that fits.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rich1998

you can contact dave at nwsl. he answers email.
http://www.nwsl.com/

get a puller from caboose hobbies and pull the worm and flywheel.
http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=693&products_id=654

get a inexpensive digital caliper from the below supplier and measure the motor specs, shaft length, shaft diameter.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=caliper&Submit=Go

i have done this to order motors or gears, etc.
lex

WoundedBear