New to Bachmann - how to screw track bed down?

Started by MikeyL, November 26, 2009, 09:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyL

We're new to Bachmann trains and tracks - we have HO Scale Easy Track, and a 4' x 8' piece of thick plywood. We'd like to build a cool layout and screw it down to the plywood so we can have the space back when not playing with the trains. (Our 4 year old son is our excuse for going back to our own childhoods....)

We'll want to pick the plywood up and lean it's backside against a wall when not in use, but after looking at the track, I can't see how to attach the track to the plywood.

Any thoughts? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

the Bach-man

Dear Mikey,
I've had great results using hot glue. I've done several displays that are shipped coast to coast, and it's held on all of them. However, when changes are needed, it can be pried up and relaid.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

MikeyL

Thanks for that - we were kinda hoping for screws so that when our 4-year old son wanted to change something, it'd be easier.

What kind of hot glue works best? And how easy is it to remove? Where wouuld it be applied for best hold, but easiest removal?

Also, will it work for graduated trestles, and extended trestles for those sections of track which we wanted to keep up high.

Thanks Bach-mann!

Mike

Try the craft hot glue from some place like Michaels. It is a lower temperature glue and can be easily softened/removed with the aid of a hair dryer. - Mike

mabloodhound

I think you'll find most of your answers here.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/gallery.php?set_albumName=album13&include=view_album.php
The Bach-man bult this and has explained a lot of his glue methods as well as trestles.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

BradKT

I had a major problem with screwing EZ-track down on my layout (or using small nails).  The problem that is created...especially on curves and near turnouts...is that the base of the trackbed is not solid and can easily be depressed, resulting in an unevenly laid layout track.  This will cause derailments on curves...and sometimes on straights...especially for the longer engines like SD-45s, 50" or longer cars, such as passenger cars, 50' box cars, gondolas and flat cars).

Learn from my experience.  I used wood glue instead and had no further problems that were related to this issue.  Wood glue is white and dries clear.  If you have to take up some of the track later, all you have to do is to break the seal between trackbed and plywood with a sharp knife.  The track easily comes right up.

My suggestion is to layout the track on your plywood first and get the exact track configuration that you want and then glue it down.

Santa Fe buff

Hi guys, I haven't posted lately, have I?

Well, I've had some discussion about nailing E-Z Track down. The only nails I could find that were long enough and small enough were Woodland Scenics "T" scenery pins. You could us them, but you'd have to cut off the "T" top. As Brad said too, you risk having uneven track. For I have noticed that when you buy the E-Z track, it is slightly bowed. Imagine the bowing's progression over years on your layout? You will have a roller coaster. So, be sure, if you really want nails, to adhere the sections with a plastic-safe adhesive. If your using a foam base, be sure the adhesive it foam safe too. Liquid Nails for Projects is okay. Any other type than Projects will cause trouble and will eat away at the foam.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer