News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Compatibility

Started by Owen, November 27, 2009, 10:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen

New user (mom of new 'engineer').  We purchased a Toy Store Powerlock track for my son last Christmas...He has since become obsessed. lol
We would like to add to his set for Christmas and have heard Bachmann is the way to go. 
Questions: Is Bachmann compatible with the Powerlock track for (I think it's called a turn out?) basically connecting the (new) Bachmann to his current track?   He is also intent on having a working crossing (lights, stop bar etc.).

Any suggestions, ideas, pointers?

Owen

oops forgot to mention it is HO

ABC

No Bachmann E-Z track is not compatible with Life-Like Power-Lock track (without modification). First suggestion Life-Like Power Lock track is not very good because the connectors break off very easily (I'm not talking about the metal connectors on the rail, but under the track, part of the roadbed in other words). So if you are going to add a switch and a grade, your best bet is sticking entirely with either Life-Like or Bachmann as it would be difficult for the inexperienced modeler to make the necessary modifications to use the 2 together. The Life-Like grades or crossings do not have working lights or sound, but the 2 gates lower when the train approaches. It costs about $15.00, if you want operating lights and sound also it will put you out about $80.00 more or so and you would more than likely have to switch to conventional non roadbed track for the sensors and there is a lot of wiring involved as opposed to none for the life like crossing. As far as switches/turnouts go if you are content with staying with Life-Like then guy Life-Like turnouts, if you are willing to switch over to either Bachmann or Atlas, which is conventional non-roadbed track, then get either Bachmann or Atlas turnouts. Also of note Bachmann has track with Steel rails and black roadbed and the higher quality nickel-silver rails or grey roadbed.

Jim Banner

Life-Like Power Loc track and Bachmann E-Z track do not plug together directly but they can be adapted to work together quite easily.  If you cut the plastic hook off a piece of E-Z track, it will mate with a Life-Like Power Link adapter which in turn will mate with Power Loc track.

Power Link Adapters are available both in nickel-silver rail with grey road bed and steel track with black road bed.  Nickel-silver rail requires less cleaning while steel rail is cheaper.

The following two links will show you what I am talking about.  Your local hobby shop can obtain Power-Link Adapters from Walthers.

http://www.oakridgehobbies.com/index.php/model-railroading-railroad-diorama-miniatures/model-trains-track-rollingstock-o-scale-ho-scale-n-scale/electric-trains-ho-scale/lifelike-trains-ho-scale-power-loc-track-system/lifelike-ho-scale-power-link-adapter-2-pcs.html

http://www.oakridgehobbies.com/index.php/model-railroading-railroad-diorama-miniatures/model-trains-track-rollingstock-o-scale-ho-scale-n-scale/electric-trains-ho-scale/lifelike-trains-ho-scale-power-loc-track-system/lifelike-ho-scale-power-link-adapter-2-pcs-1.html

Perhaps others who have dealt with Oarkridge Hobbies will take a minute to tell us of their experiences.  I have not personally dealt with Oakridge so have nothing to tell you about them.

Bottom line, adapting Bachmann E-Z Track to Life-Like Power-Loc track is possible and relatively easy.  If you need a small saw to trim the hook off the E-Z Track, an Atlas Hobby Saw (also from your local hobby shop) is low cost and very useful.  I hope you and your Junior Engineer have a lot of train fun this Christmas.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Owen

Thank you ABC and Jim for your speedy and informative replies!  What a wonderful, supportive group.  I will talk over our options with my husband (a machinist) and decide how we want to approach it.  He will definitely be a happy boy this Christmas with some sort of expansion to his set.  It amazes me how focused and dedicated he is to his train hobby for a young boy.  Training must be in his blood!

Thanks Again!
:)
A Thankful Mom