News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Got My 2-6-6-2 and caboose

Started by ebtbob, November 28, 2009, 12:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Hi All,

Yesterday I got my 2-6-6-2 and new caboose.    The pictures of the caboose do it no justice.   They make the caboose look more squater than it really is.   Nice interior with illumination.
       The 2-6-6-2 is a great engine except for one thing.   It does not pull as well as the 2-8-0s or 4-6-0s.   That being said,  it is a fine runner.  I got mine with DCC and sound and while I would prefer a full blown Tsunami,  for more whistle selection,  I will be MORE than glad to live with the engine the way it is.
        I don't know for sure what the ruling grade is on my railroad but my 2-8-0s and 4-6-0s will take a 10 car loaded hopper train and caboose up my grade with the 2-8-0 pulling better than the 4-6-0.   The 2-6-6-2 need a rear end helper to get the train up the grade.   For me,  that is acceptable because I like the challenge of getting the two engines synchronized in speed so I don't push the rear end of the train off the rails.    That and the sight and sound of two engines working up that grade at different ends of the train is really cool.
      Size wise,  the 2-6-6-2 is noticably smaller than the 2-8-0s and 4-6-0s
but believe me,  Bachmann has a winner on their hands.   This engine just begs to be detailed and there is actually a better chance to get a crew in the cab than with the 2-8-0 or the 4-6-0s.
       My one complaint is the fact that you are given extra headlights for the engine and tender lights with contacts but no advice as to how to remove the factor installed lighting and replacing them with the others available.
      Overall,  Thanks Bachmann for a really nice engine.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

James Thomas

Is the sound set to an "articulated" or "simple" mode?  Is there a CV to adjust from one to the other?
Thanks,

JRT

ebtbob

James,

When the engine starts up there are two distinct engine sounds but as the engine gets up to speed the two blend together.   Now,  all these years in this hobby I still can not remember the difference between simple and compound articulated engines.   This particular engine as cylinder sets that are the same size.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

Heave

I am expecting delivery of this engine and caboose as well. I am disappointed greatly to hear of lack of pulling power.

Two questions.

Is there any room inside the boiler to add lead sheet weight?

How high did your train climb on the grade which it needed a pusher and how far did it travel to get that high?

ebtnut

For added pulling power, what is probably needed is some more weight in the front engine.  See if there is any room between the frames (and between the driver axles) to insert some weights.  That should help give the front engine something to do. 

ebtbob

Good Evening All,

First of all,  don't let the lack of pulling power bother you.   Remember,  this is quite a small engine when you see it sitting next to the 2-8-0 or the 4-6-0.
       As for space for extra weight,  I do not know.   Talking to Tim Anders,  one who lurks and communicates here today,  he says there may be room.   I am not sure I want to add any weight.   I like the fact that have to tack on a helper on the end of the train.  Like I said in my previous post,  I have fun running with helpers.
       The grade on my On30 railroad is encompassed in a spiral grade,  not a true helix.   The vertical climb is 12 inches from top to bottom and has two loops on a 5.5x 10 ft peninsula.     I would say the engine went about 25% of the way up the first loop.   
       One thing I have noticed over the years here is the tendency for modelers to expect their engines to pull protypical length trains.   Well that is just not happening.         
       Like I said before,  this is a really nice engine with which I am VERY satisfied.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

El Loco

Just curious Bob, how many cars / type of cars were you attempting to drag up the helix ? My Shay can't drag 6 loaded log bunks up a 4%  radius-ed grade only 3/4 of the way before it looses traction. That didnt seem  to be expecting too much in my books. :o 
Could you post  the weight & Length of it by chance? 
Thanks!

Heave

Well, assuming 30 inches radius times pii for circumference works out to roughly 15.8 feet of travel in both helix loops. For a one foot climb in 15 feet that should be about... 3-4%?

If a train in HO Scale moved 16 feet and climbed 4 inches that would be about 2% roughly.

I will have to sit down and think about gradient all over again.

But apparently from your describing how the engine behaves until it runs out of momentum or traction when all 10 loaded cars are on the grade... I would believe it is a nice engine.

I plan to cheat a little when planning my line for it. It will take empty log skels up hill (About 9 total) and bring down 9 loads of logs downgrade.

Another question.

When you attempt to travel the helix downhill with all 10 loaded hoppers on the engine, does the engine resist by "Bucking" or fighting the load imposed onto it?

Or does it retain command of it's train and holds constant answer to your throttle all the way down? (I love Sir Issac Newton, do you?) Over the years I have discovered some models are unable to hold on downgrade and buck.

Pulling power and traction limits have every consideration for engines in my way of thinking. Helpers are great. But I simply dont have money for a second engine and will be limited to what I can cheat, grade, cajole or otherwise work the system to bring decent trains of 9-12 loads down the mountain to the sawmill.

In fact, I will double or triple the grade if I have to. Consider that my railroad only has about... 24 total feet of walls to work with! Any thing that adds time and effort to get the day's work done is worth it.

ebtbob

The train I referred to was made up of 10 loaded Bachmann 2 bay hoppers and the new caboose,  with the lighting contracts removed from the trucks.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

El Loco

Bob, That sounds like a fairly  reasonable size drag. Like you, I enjoy having a helper unit help with those oversize loads in a consist. Besides if it were prototype they would have 2 locomotives anyway.  Oh yes my Shay she is a great runner I am pleased with its capabilities. I dont push it due to split gear fears so she only lumbers around on special outings.  The new articulated sounds nice.

ebtbob

On my railroad,  I can run trains with up to 12-15 cars without helpers if I use my 2-8-0s or my MMI K27s.   But,  anything over 12 cars is a long train when you see it on the railroad.  Besides,  I make up trains based on operations,  so there is a reason for train length.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

El Loco

My 2-8-0's are the power house of my railroad no doubt.  I can pull the same  as well with mine. When the Tsunami kicks in its audio  performance the chuff picks up as the load increases and drops on the down hill side. as she passes through the ravines the echos off of the walls and over trestle bridges it really sounds wonderful.  Its rather ironic I didnt plan my railroad that way it just happened. :)  Yes sir, the Connie is a keeper! "Numero uno"
the "coup de gras" . ;D