Couple of old steamers being pulled out of the woods; literally.

Started by chucknlead, April 17, 2007, 08:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen D. Richards

#94,  yep I agree on the museum.  I think these two can be brought to life again though.  I know #9 will be operating within the next year.  However, # 8 needs a lot more attention!  they have had the boilers checked and strength tested and the boilers are exceptable!  That I guess is the hard part.  I actually know very little about steam engines other than their operating principles.  I hope to learn alot about them in the near future.  I think it's exciting to work on them, of course all this labor is volunteer work.  If anybody is interested and lives nearby, they have several projects that need attention.  Membership is 25.00 per year and you have to be a member to volunteer.  Pretty much the same as any RR Museum.  This is ground floor to.  The WVRR Museum doesn't have any real estate yet just locos and rolling stock.  Plans are in the works to rebuild the Western Maryland Roundhouse back on the Elkins Rail Yard!  Alot of neat stuff coming up soon.  Just in case anyone's interested.  Stephen

Yorkie

Sam Clavis

Savage? :o I think you mean salvage. I don't think there is anything savage about rescuing two steam  engines.
Im from New Zealand
Modelling Early Period BR in OO scale.
Sam

Spule 4

Quote from: chucknlead on April 19, 2007, 05:10:16 PM
Thanks S.R for your contribution toward those restorations.

I'd like to see some pics of the shays with trees growing up through them! I doubt that they will be resurrected but at least they escaped
the "scrappers torch" ;)

No photos of the MS Shay, but one in in SC and one under water toward the bottom:

http://www.shaylocomotives.com/surviving/SLc-Survivors.htm
Garrett

chucknlead

Choooooo----------Choooooooo

Spule 4

Garrett

VirginiaCentral

"Here's a picture of one of those abondoned shays:
http://www.shaylocomotives.com/data/lima/sn-196.htm "

Hey Mr. Bach-man, except for the wide wheels, this is exactly what we need in Large Scale, 1:20.3 - A two-truck, T-boiler Shay.

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

Paul W.

I have to second Jerry's thoughts, I'd love to see a T-boiler come out in 1:20.3!
Happy Steamin'

Paul

SteamGene

Let's see.  There is one C&O K-4 in Huntington Part, Newport News, Va.  It is iin fairly good shape except apparently one driver axle broke when it was being pushed into position back in 1964.  One is in Richmond, Virginia, I believe now at the Broad Street Station.  It used to be in a small park at the west intersection of I-64 and I-95.  I remember it as being in good condition.  One is in Lynchburg, Virginia, and I hear it is in miserable shape.  The last is in the Illinoise Railroad Museum and you can tell it's a K-4 by the shape of the tender, the number of wheels, and the position of what's left of the headlight.  Other than that, it's awful. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"