News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound in HO Emily

Started by sparkyjay31, May 27, 2009, 08:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkyjay31

Is this possible?  Have any of you tried it and been successful? 
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

James The Red Engine

Adding sound to a Bachmann Emily is possible, but it isn't going to be a day in the sun.  You'd have to add sound in the tender since there isn't any room in the locomotive itself.  You'd have to run wires from the tender to the engine and the tender would have to be coupled to the engine at all times.  I think you might be able to get more help on this topic from Alex. ;)

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Also, before modifying her for sound, you should add weight to Emily's interior to improve running. She ought to be able to pull more than, say, Percy.

shining time

i agree on that add wieght :) :) :)
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

StanierJack

Why add the weight? Emily is a decent performer.

I'd wire the sound decoder to the locomotive, and house it within the tender. If possible, you could mount the speaker in one of the Emily coaches to keep room, but it would be a permanent couple.

trainguy111

You know what? Bachmann should make a sound upgrade thing for all the engines.

alex wittman

probably not, because that requires work and skill, one thomas percy mavis toby, and all the small engines don't have room, tender engines can because their tenders hold the speakers and wires can go to the motor easily. but then the prices will go up extremely if the industry did that.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I think that he meant a sold-separately upgrade that people could choose to buy and add on their own. Why, thanks to the room in the tenders it could even be battery powered.

StanierJack

If you are wanting sound in the locomotives themselves, you are gonna be looking at a much higher price tag, but seeing as at the end of the day they are toys, I doubt we'll get sound, dcc or steam gens in the thomas range any time soon.

For those of you worried about space, I'm sure a N scale decoder with a normal sized speaker would fit into the back of thomas's cab, or sidetanks.