News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

No Smoke

Started by Whistlestop24, November 29, 2009, 08:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whistlestop24

Just bought a brand new Bachmann "Heavy Hauler" Pioneer "G" scale train set.  I want to turn it into a Garden Train this spring. For now, its set up under the Christmas Tree.. Its running "GREAT", and I'm well pleased with it.  I was very impressed with the written directions, and the " C.D. ". What a cool idea !!!  I did everything that the directions said to do, but the smoker won't work.  The C.D. says the more you run the train the better it will run. Do you think I haven't run it long enough ???  I bet I haven't run it an hour yet..  Other than no smoke, it runs "GREAT" !!!

Joe Satnik

Did you turn on the "smoke" switch behind the smoke-box door in front of the boiler?
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Whistlestop24

Yes, followed all the directions. I have the switch turned on, and put 10 drops of fluid down the stack..

the Bach-man

Dear Whistlestop,
Our smoke unit is a coil of wire on a central support. Sometimes in shipping the wire rides up on the support, so it doesn't make contact with the smoke fluid in the reservoir.  Try GENTLY pushing it down with an eraser.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Whistlestop24

Dear Bach Man, How many switches are supposed to be in the smoke box???  My Engine has one, with a blank hole at the top of that switch, where it looks like another switch should go..  The bottom switch is an off and on switch for the smoke..

on30gn15

I'm not the Bach Man but I can tell you.

Depends on how the locomotive is sold.
Most of the train set locomotives will have just the one for the smoke.

The high end "Anniversary Edition", "Annie", locos sold seperately are the ones with 2 switches.

Same one for the smoke, plus the other for electrical polarity.
That extra is needed because:
NMRA, National Model Railroad Association, standards for 2-rail DC current operation are locomotive moves forward when right hand rail is positive.

For whatever reason, large scale railways developed using opposite configuration.

I think that polarity switch in the Annies also has a center off position.
Too lazy right now to go dig mine out of the box to look.

later,
Forrest
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Whistlestop24

:D   Great Tip Bach Man !!!!  ;D    I got smoke now !!!   That must have been the problem...  :D   Thanks for your help !!!

Whistlestop24

Well, the engine smoked for about an hour. Little wispy smoke, nothing pushing out the stack, like some of the vidios on You-Tube..   I'd hate to send the engine back.  Is their some one in the York, Pennsylvania area that could look at my engine for me???

the Bach-man

Dear Whistlestop,
That's about it for smoke- there's no puffing mechanism, and smoke volume is not very great.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

NarrowMinded

Hi, google big hauler tips and a link to the GIRR railroad site will come up, he has some tips for smoke there.

NM

Whistlestop24

Took the train from around the Christmas Tree, (I'm now in the Dog House with my Wife for doing that), and bought 14 sections of additional straight track, and made a larger ovel on the Rec Room floor of the basement. Now I can open up the engine, and it smokes a lot better. The Bachmann Pioneer Heavy Hauler is a GREAT train, and we're having fun with it. I'm going to dig out the old HO train for around the tree, to keep the Wife Happy...  Whistlestop24 ::)